Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Nationals

So, my wife is trying to determine if she is coming to the nationals with me (open/production). There are lots of complications (kids, inlaws, etc). One factor will be the hotel. She likes to stay at hotels on the strip, and enjoys trying different hotels each time. Although the Orleans (official Nats hotel) is obviously a nice place, she likes to walk the strip, is more familiar with the area, and wants to stay at a strip hotel.

I am worried that there will be lots of USPSA related activities and perks at The Orleans, and I will miss them by staying at another hotel. Assuming that I have my own transportation, and that I attend the awards ceremony, will I be missing any perks or activities? At the Area-1 last year, the hotel was, well, just a hotel (plus a common dining place for many competitors). How much, if any, of the 'happenings' associated with the Nationals are at the hotel?

I'd like her to come, and am willing to stay on the strip instead. I just need to know what I may miss.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Edit: Question, anyone know if there will be a shuttle to the range from the Orleans, or is everyone renting a car?

Edited by Jeff686

last year the breakfast was kind of nice with a bunch of shooters in the same dinning area, And knowing that if you had any problems other shooters were close to help.

You could switch hotels the last day , its fun to get to the "Room" early and see people. I don't talk to any one, as I am socially handicapped with out my wife.

The problem with not staying at the match hotel is you may feel like you are missing something that never even happened.

I don't know nothing much about Vegas

Other than check in and the awards ceremony, I do not think that there is alot of stuff going on at the hotel. I think you could stay at any hotel you like. You will probably find more to do at the vendors tent at the range, than at the Hotel. I do recommend attending the awards ceremony.

Just my .02

Randy

The Orleans is a great place to stay. If you like sushi, their restaurant is known, by locals, to be some of the best in town. Too, being on Tropicana you're not that far from the strip. You're probably renting a car anyways to get to and from the range, so what I used to do is drive to say the Bellagio or near by, have the valets park the car and then go walking around from there.

Too...from good advice, rent a convertible. Cruising the strip with the top down is great!

Rich

+1.

There won't be any shuttles from any of the hotels to the range. It's up to everyone to make their own way there. This is one advantage to staying at the match hotel. There will always be someone heading out to the range at the same time that you are. So you may be able to save some money on a rental and just help out with some gas money to the hapless driver.

The match hotels will open for breakfast early and other hotels may not.

The awards ceremony is a MUST-DO. It's the only way you can pick up your hard-earned prize (unless you give your id badge to someone to pick it up for you). Get a good placement and you could get a nice prize to take back with you.... maybe a new Aimpoint B)

doesn't sound like your going to miss much jeff. Take lots of pics when you are there. Are you comming to tri county this weekend?

Thanks for the info everyone! Yes, I'lll hope for an Aimpoint Micro.

Jan, I'll probably come down on Sunday to sight in my Aimpoint XD, freshly back from repair. Have a friend who wants to go to the Machine Gun shoot, so I'll probably join him.