Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Service Question - XL650

Good Day All,

Wasn't quite sure to drop this question but figured here

was good enough.

I bought my XL650 back in 1995 or so. Worked like a

charm, still does for the most part.

Recently started having station 1 (brass feeding) problems. I discovered the "ramp" was bent down at an angle that prevented the brass from being pushed completely into station 1. I just took it completely apart and discovered it is cracked. I have temp fixed it by bending it back and called Dillion service.

Guy on the line gave me the good news and the bad news. Good news as with Dillon they will replace the part for free, bad news is I have to ship my entire press back to them as this part has been upgraded 7 or 8 times since 1995 and requires fitting. :-(

It's a bit of a pain as I'm in Canada but nothing new that I can't handle.

My question, yes I do have one! is what does Dillon do to the press? do they completely overhaul it? Do they completely replace it "New"?

Anyone had problems having this done?

Just curious and wanted to hear what others have to say..

(Edited by Lumpy at 12:25 pm on May 25, 2002)

No promises, as I don't speak for Dillon, but every case I've heard of people sending back an entire press for service resulted in a completely updated/rebuilt press. It's easier (and likely cheaper) for them when they have to get revised parts in inventory to fit together.

I had a minor problem back 2-3 years ago with my XL650, and they told me to send back the press and they would rebuild it. I was waiting for the end of the shooting season to send it, and happened to order a RL1050 (which I'd been planning on for a second press) before sending it.

Long story short, I never got around to sending the XL650, as I've been loading only one caliber, and use the RL1050 for it. If I can remember what the problem was, I may still send it in...   8-)

I deal a lot with Dillon presses and the problem you describe will probably require the whole top of the ram to be replaced. If it is going to be quicker and easier for you, ask Dillon to send the whole assembly.

I usually deal with Denis Plewniak or Steve Chavez. They are really helpful. If you ring make sure you have your instruction manual and machine (if possible) in front of you. It will save a lot of ums and ers on both parts.

jmaass is so right. You will get a near new machine back, and they will check the entire machine over and replace any other problems?? that you missed.

Sorry I meant the whole top of the ram.

But its their warrantee, so go with what they want.

I live in New Zealand and it cost about $145US shipping on a machine, so they send me what we need when I order machines. If you talk to Denis say I said hi.

Good Luck.