Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was I correct in stopping him?

So why was TJ shooting brass that didn't have a primer hole drilled all the way thru? And how did he show you that on the range? TJ is a top tier competitor and I can't understand why he would bring ammo to a match knowing he had bad brass.

Why would you think he knew ?!?! :wacko:

He, like a lot of folks, was apparently using "new brass for the big match".

I have always believed that that was an iffy practice. New brass...like in this case...can have defects.

Best practice, in my opinion, is to load up and shoot the new brass through your gun...at least once.

I'm with you Flex, that's why I didn't understand. Now I know why the de-capping pin didn't punch out the primer hole since he removed it.

The irony is that if it was anything other than Hornady .38TJ, the pin probably would have gone right through. From what I understand, it is particularly hard brass.

I'm with you Flex, that's why I didn't understand. Now I know why the de-capping pin didn't punch out the primer hole since he removed it.

The irony is that if it was anything other than Hornady .38TJ, the pin probably would have gone right through. From what I understand, it is particularly hard brass.

Hmmmmmm...

Over the years, we have seen quite a few posts about new brass without primer flash holes (and other defects). It sure isn't limited to any one caliber of brass.

Hmmmmmm...

Over the years, we have seen quite a few posts about new brass without primer flash holes (and other defects). It sure isn't limited to any one caliber of brass.

I was joking that the specific qualities of strength and hardness inherent to Hornady TJ by design probably led to a bent pin, and other brass might have let the pin punch its own flash hole.

Not to get too far off topic of stoppages, thinking about it, that instance of TJ having that malfunction Missoula could have been an ok safety stoppage. He had a primer go off, a gun not cycle, and a belief that a round didn't go down range. When you have those things, you're justified in believeing that there was a good chance of a squib. If you think there is a good chance of a squib, stop.

I didn't get the joke. Sorry. And, it was looking like TJ was getting dragged in the dirt on this thread. So, I was getting defensive. (I don't know TJ. I just don't want to see rumors getting started here...which is a good reason why we try to stay away from mentioning names when we can.)

----------------------

Not to get too far off topic of stoppages, thinking about it, that instance of TJ having that malfunction Missoula could have been an ok safety stoppage. He had a primer go off, a gun not cycle, and a belief that a round didn't go down range. When you have those things, you're justified in believeing that there was a good chance of a squib. If you think there is a good chance of a squib, stop.

Good point. That then brings up the next question... Since it wasn't a squib, but we are talking about stopping the shooter for a suspected problem... Is a reshoot granted? Since, there was a problem?

See this thread on unsafe ammunition <clickity>