Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Great Day

Ironman

Yesterday I took another new shooter to the range for her first experience with rifles and pistols. This is the second teenage daughter of my non-shooting friends that has wanted to learn about shooting. There is nothing that makes me feel better than going over shooting safety rules and shooting techniques with someone new to the sport and then watching them hit the bull. It is funny the way things work out. I guess the first girl that I took out told her girl friends and now they are going to their dads and lo and behold I have father and daughter teams at the range for some shooting fun.

Now the bad news... <_< I reloaded a 200 40 cals before we went just so I would have enough to go around. I checked the first 3 powder loads with the scale and then started to knock out the rest. When I shot the first round I heard a slight pop. Damn Squib! :angry: I drive out the bullet with my handy dandy squib tool and racked another load. Damn Squib! :angry: This went on 6 times till I gave up. :wacko: When I got home I checked out the 1050 and found that the little square plastic piece that works the powder slide had popped out and lodged into another area in the powder mechanism. So today I get to knock out 184 rounds and try it again.

It was still a great day. :D

Jim

That is the same exact thing i did. I have had my 650 for about 8 years and just 5 months ago got the powder check. I really should have done it earlier. It is great that you can get others out shooting. Especially younger people. Good Job!

wide45,

I agree, I had a couple of squibs with my 550 when I first started reloading. I developed a routine which included checking each case for squib/double charge prior to inserting the bullet. I also started dumping each new case prior to inserting it into the shell plate because I found a small piece of paper inside one time. Each time I would find a new problem I would come up with another check. After several years of reloading on the 550 I became confident with the rounds that I produced. I have only been reloading with the 1050 for a couple of months and unfortunately, had a greater confidence level with the way that it works in comparison to the 550. Big mistake. We should not take anything for granted no mater how many "safety devices" we install. This was a good wake up call for me.

Thanks to all for their comments. :D

Jim

SL,

B) Sometimes simple is better... but I really like the 1050 once I get it right.

By the way, the problem was that the 1050 had the old style nut with a lock washer attached (flattened) instead of the new aircraft style nut. It got loose and allowed the plastic washer to slip out. Calling Dillion on Monday.

Jim