Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1955 Smith...

Ron Ankeny

Argh...I can't stand it. There is a used 1955 Smith, pinned, that cute extra screw, 6.5 incher in the case at the gunshop. Not a 25-2 a good lod 1955. The action is hacked to death with the rebound spring cut off and who knows what the guy did with a stone... The finish is 95% and I don't believe it was shot much...has some end shake. Darn, it needs some work but all of them do. The price is $450.00 and that's not cheap but not highway robbery.

Someone give me a ball park idea of how much a tune-up, action job, chamfer the charge holes, etc. would run. Help, pull me back from the edge...or push me over. Should I get the gun??? Fight off the urge???? Dammittt....

I agree with Patrick. If it's just springs they messed up...just throw in a pair of new ones (the Miculek rebound is pretty fast). If the thing is FUBAR under the plate, leave it or buy it for half the price ;)

The chamfering you can do yourself. Just use a small round file and take it easy.

But, hell, just buy it. We all know how much you like those old blued 6.5" N-frame .45's ;)

FFK:

Yeah, I know what you mean. If the gun could be restored to as new for the price of a rebound spring, it might be a shame to turn the revolver into an IPSC gun and wear it to death. Someone, somewhere, might want it for a collection. Do you know an interested party?

In a way, I can understand how you would feel if a 55 would be abused for IPSC use. OTOH, guns are made for shooting. I have a model of 1988 .45 (5000 were produced) I currently use for IPSC. It's full of dings and scratches, and after a while, you stop caring. Buy a gun that suits your needs and USE it.

Besides, it's almost impossible to WEAR a gun to death in IPSC use. Especially a revolver.

Can't guarantee anything on a sale but if you could get a picture or two out I could quite possibly help you out on one. One of my friends would buy a every 55 Target or 25-2 made if he could scrape up the funds. BTW, I agree, guns are made for shooting, and I shoot the snot out of old Smith's, but in that price range, buy a new 625 and hack away. They are better guns and you aren't damaging a 50 year old work of art...somehow I think skateboard tape and a dot on something like a Triple lock or 55 Target would qualify as some sort of sin. :D

but in that price range, buy a new 625 and hack away. They are better guns and you aren't damaging a 50 year old work of art...somehow I think skateboard tape and a dot on a Triple lock would qualify as some sort of sin.

Well...that does make an awful lotta sense :D

If you were the gun which owner would you rather have---one that put a box of shells through you and stuffed you in some old sock drawer for the next 25 years, only to be pawed at occasionally by the grandkids----OR, a dude that put down the green, gets you in shape and takes you racing every weekend!?

If you like the pistol and want the pistol, buy the pistol. It has probably been waiting all these years for a guy like you to take it out and let it run. :D

I say put $400 on the table and get yourself a new shooting iron!