Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide for Suppressor

sigfla

Excuse me if this post violates the TOS but since BE.com is the source of info for all things slide glide and many of its members do have C3 suppressed weapons I was wondering about the use of slide glide in a suppressor. It seems like the medium or thick viscosity would be ideal for use in a can. Has anyone tried it and what were the results? I have seen most everything used at one time or another, KY, water, oil but nothing like slide glide.

My only concern with it would be that it would gum up after a few shots and it could be tough to get out of the can for cleaning. However since it doesn't appear to get hard during hard carbon packing use it may work well with a shot of engine degreaser or carbon cutter down the can for cleaning.

If you want to keep your cans clean, buy an ultrasonic cleaner and never worry about anything you put in the can. I don't use lube inside of mine, but to keep them free of carbon, ultrasonic cleaning is the cat's ass.

Yep.....ultrasonic is the cats azz for cleaning suppressors. a 10 to mix of Simple Green does wonders. If I do use a medium inside my cans(rarely)....its mineral oil. I have used wire pulling gel too but too messy. Not sure about slide glide. Probably would work just fine.

I got my ultrasonic for less than $100 from a wholesaler. Its heated and timed and works great on all things firearms.

I shoot all my "Cans" dry....KY jelly, etc... just makes a mess. Also, unless you are shooting a Full Auto .22 suppressed your "Can" really should not need extensive cleaning. Equal parts Automatic transmission fluid, mineral spriits, Kerosene, and Acetone is what GemTech recommends. Water based products are BAD and can damage aluminum. I am pretty sure ultrasonic cleaning of aluminum baffle stacks is Not recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

While I haven't tried Slide Glide, any oil or grease based wet medium that I've ever used seemed to smoke excessively.

I don't notice a lot of difference when shooting my .22 cans wet. The Trident 9 sounds a little better wet, but makes a mess and the performance gains are marginal (IMO anyway).

The only can I usually shoot wet is my Bowers CAC-45. I have used anything from water to lithium grease to WD-40 to hair gel. I usually just hose it down with WD-40 or some other water displacing oil and let it dry. (of course, then it's smoky for the first couple of mags the next time I shoot it).