Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Barrels Fit

vous

Does anyone know if the barrel from a large frame will also fit into the small frame slide? Simply can you use the same barrel in a small and large frame slide?

I seem to remember a long time ago comparing the slides from a large frame & small frame and they appeared slightly diffrent sizes but the actual barrels looked very similar in lengths of chamber, lugs etc.

Maybe there is no point in answering when you don’t have the whole answer, but........It is like you remember. The slides are not interchangeable, and barrels for 45acp and 38 Super doesn’t fit for obvious reasons.

I should have been clearer in explaining why I am asking!!

I have a spare Limited Custom barrel in 9mm. I have recently been offered an older Gold Custom model which is in good cond for a very good price but it comes in 9x21. My thought was that as I don't want to go down the road of 9x21, would it be possible to fit the 9mm barrel from the large frame into the Gold Custom slide of the small frame.

Obviously a barrel in a 45 or 38 Super would not work but the 9mm might if the barrels that Tanfoglio make are all manufactured the same but the slides for obvious reasons are manufactured with different specs.

I would have measured up things with the actual pistol but unfortunately it is presently in another part of the country and I don't have access at the moment to a small frame.

It's a good question and not necessarily obvious. I asked EAA once and they said absolutely the barrels doesn't cross over between large and small frame.

Misleading on their part... and incorrect

What matters on the barrel is two things;

1) the length of the hood of the barrel (from the back of the top of the barrel to the first upper barrel lug). (approx 1.10" length)

2) the shape of the "barrel link" (kidney shaped hole). (no good way to measure this to convey the shape)

I have a 2008 small frame Stock II in 9mm and I just compared it to my 2007 large frame Limited 40 S&W. Both measurements specified above is 100% identical.

I have one reservation with all this... old model small frame 9mm may have a slightly different "kidney". I also have an early 90 Briley barrel for 9mm small frame and they shaped the "kidney" slightly smaller than the 2008 Stock II sf 9mm barrel. I used to shoot the small frame 9mm Gold Teams from 92 - 95, but I don't have any of those guns or barrels anymore. I did fit a Briley barrel to my gun back then which worked great.

ALSO:

1) The slides are different and don't mix.

2) Frames are very different and don't mix.

3) Trigger bars don't mix.

4) Firing Pins don't mix

5) Magazines and mag parts (except springs) don't mix

;-)

Henning

It's a good question and not necessarily obvious. I asked EAA once and they said absolutely the barrels doesn't cross over between large and small frame.

Misleading on their part... and incorrect

What matters on the barrel is two things;

1) the length of the hood of the barrel (from the back of the top of the barrel to the first upper barrel lug). (approx 1.10" length)

2) the shape of the "barrel link" (kidney shaped hole). (no good way to measure this to convey the shape)

I have a 2008 small frame Stock II in 9mm and I just compared it to my 2007 large frame Limited 40 S&W. Both measurements specified above is 100% identical.

I have one reservation with all this... old model small frame 9mm may have a slightly different "kidney". I also have an early 90 Briley barrel for 9mm small frame and they shaped the "kidney" slightly smaller than the 2008 Stock II sf 9mm barrel. I used to shoot the small frame 9mm Gold Teams from 92 - 95, but I don't have any of those guns or barrels anymore. I did fit a Briley barrel to my gun back then which worked great.

ALSO:

1) The slides are different and don't mix.

2) Frames are very different and don't mix.

3) Trigger bars don't mix.

4) Firing Pins don't mix

5) Magazines and mag parts (except springs) don't mix

;-)

Henning

Hey henning

Thanks for the info. The small frame is a good price so worth having a try!! Worst case scenario I will have to get a small frame barrel.

If all goes to plan will touchbase to get some of your bits to upgrade the small frame.