Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Masters

teamroyalty

No one has mentioned it that I've seen, but there is also a "Dress Rehearsal" for the Masters. It is typically held on the first weekend in June, but the date hasn't been posted as yet. No prizes, but no cost either, just show up and shoot the match. Pretty informal with no set shooting times and no pressure.

• 4 months later...

August 12, 2009

The Masters International Shooting Championship

Well, the 24th annual Masters Championship is now behind us. And once again, it was an enjoyable, challenging match. Only a few times, if ever, in our lives, are we able to participate in something that is “Bigger” than the sum of its parts. That is the way I feel about the Masters Championship. This match, for several years after it began, was THE premier shooting competition in the world. Everyone who was anyone, and many who “coulda’ been somebody” came to shoot this match. They would arrive up to a month in advance to practice on the match range. The match was limited to 300 shooters, and you’d better mail your entry early, or you’d be left out. The prize money was huge, the atmosphere was the most laid back and friendly of any match I’ve ever been to. And it was TOUGH! Three distinct pistol disciplines, all combined in one shooting match, to see who would be named The Master. Bullseye style precision, Steel Challenge style speed shooting, and IHMSA style long range pistol, only longer distances with smaller targets, and shorter time limits. And the whole thing designed so that in 24 Masters Tournaments there has NEVER been a perfect score attained. EVER!

The match grew every year in prize money and spectators, until the fateful year that anyone who was there can tell you about. The gun industry as a whole was on shaky ground. The future of guns and our beloved shooting sport in general was unclear, much as it is now. Sponsorship money was pledged and then withdrawn after the prizes had been promised to the winners. All in all it was a bad set of circumstances that came together to nearly destroy the greatest shooting event that had ever been staged. The resulting cents on the dollar payout left such a bad taste in many shooters mouths that to this day many refuse to attend. And that is sad, very sad. Not only for the match itself, but for the shooting sports in general. The shooters who continue to attend do so not because of mega dollars they might win. They keep coming because of all the other things this match continues to provide. Challenging shooting, friendly surroundings, and a beautiful setting that begs you to bring out your lawn chairs and sit and enjoy your shooting compadres and all the stories that get told over and over. And, considering the number of shooters we have, the prizes aren’t to be sneezed at.

To all who gave up on the match, come on back. Do you only shoot matches that promise a big payout? I’d like to ask you, or actually, as all the tough questions should be asked, you should ask yourself, how many thousands of dollars did you take home from the match in years prior to that fateful year? How many guns did you take home? How many of you started or attained your sponsorship with this match? How many of your kids took home air guns, bicycles and big savings bonds from the Bikathalon? Yes, you lost some money, but not near the amount you received over the years. And even now, there are several guns given as prizes each year. Come try and take one home.

This match could once again climb to the top of the game, simply because there’s nothing else like it anywhere. It just needs you.

To anyone who has never shot it, give it a try. I’ve got all the guns you’ll need and you’re welcome to try them out if you like. Oh, except for the revolver class. I don’t do revolvers, :D . Greg Smith