Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last minute preparation for a match

dajarrel

Well, I did it again. I waited to the last minute to get ready for a match. :rolleyes: I got started loading match ammo this morning and a couple of hundred rounds into it, the press puked. It was my fault. The ratchet that advances the primer wheel on my 650 wasn't resetting all the way. It seemed to have a lack of lubrication. I took it all down, cleaned it up, added the required drop or two of oil and everything was fine.

Then I decided to clean my gun. The biggest reason was to barrel check my rounds. It wasn't as dirty as I've seen it before and Hey, It was still running. :devil:

But when I got it disassembled, I found that the front leg of the ejector had broken. I had an ejector that I took out of my limited gun to replace it with, but then I discovered that I couldn't get the broken pin out. I debated with myself about taking it to A6 and getting one of the vendors to fix it, but realized that they probably wouldn't have even a vise to work with much less a drill press. So about 9:00 this evening, I chucked it up in the bench vise and got the old Dewalt out and proceeded to drill it. I took my time starting with a 1/16 drill and worked up to 7/16 before the stubborn pin finally came out. After putting the new ejector in, I discovered that the retaining pin wouldn't fit, so I left it out. The fit is extra tight and the slide holds it in place so I should be OK.

The moral of the story is: Don't fiddle around until the last minute. It seems like I would realize this one day :goof:

maybe all my bad luck has happened and the match will go smooth.

dj

It sounds like you and I have the same luck. I named my dog Murphy, after Murphy's law, because unfortunately that seems to be the rule we live by at my house. I do, however, spend the Winter months reloading for the following year. That's just one more thing I don't have to worry about. And it gives me something to do instead of watching reruns on the idiot box.

It sounds like you and I have the same luck. I named my dog Murphy, after Murphy's law, because unfortunately that seems to be the rule we live by at my house. I do, however, spend the Winter months reloading for the following year. That's just one more thing I don't have to worry about. And it gives me something to do instead of watching reruns on the idiot box.

Ray,

I don't mind the last minute reloading, actually, I'm kinda used to it. It's the last minute shadetree gunsmithing that put the pressure on. :surprise:

dj