Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shifting gun to reach mag release button...

ChrisMcCracken

Bart-man, we know a guy who uses his weak hand to release the mag on his Para. He usually does very well and tanks the classifier. He recently had me do it at an Action pistol match. It is pretty interesting to see it done. Additionally, I know a left handed shooter who uses use his trigger finger to release the mag--he is a A-class shooter. He too is quite fast. So I am in favor of any technique that works.

On my single stack I have notched the left grip to aid in getting to the mag release and on my limited i put on an extended release and a softer mag release spring. This eliminated the shifting of the gun in the grip. It does make we flip the gun when the start as the gun resting on something. But the technique for picking it up with the weak hand is actually pretty fast.

If you listen to Matt Burkett--he says modify your gun to fit your hand. It is your gun and it does not have to enter a beauty contest.

I have a USP and I use the middle finger of my right hand to drop the mag. I've found some ROs that are not happy with your trigger finger waving around the trigger guard.

When I shot a Limited Para, I did the same thing. It's fast and does not make you have to reacquire the firing grip with the SH, but I found that I can't do it as well on my Glocks, and that some people can't do it, period. Depends on your anatomy.

So now I flip w/ the SH, and find my fastest reloads involve getting the WH off the gun and to the fresh mag ASAP.

PS: my hands are smaller than those of most women (size 6&1/2)