Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone know anything about an H&R shotgun?

lowetlx

I was fortunate enough to win a H&R pardner 12gauge pump shot gun. It has a 5 round mag capacity. I havent been able to find a mag extension tube made for this gun. Does anyone know if one made for another brand will fit? It is a decent gun especially for the price and would like to get it to hold 8 or so.

Thanks,

Andy

I don't know if I have ever seen this brand of shotgun, but I thought I heard it was a clone of the Mossberg. If it is like the Mossberg it should be a good reliable pump shotgun. The only problem is that the you can not put an extended mag tube on it because the end of the tube is also where it attaches to the barrel. Brownell's now sells a "kit" for the Mossberg that allows putting on an extended tube, but it also comes with a new barrel.

I have a pardner "home defense". It is very close to a remington 870. The only difference is the barrel shroud (won't take an 870 barrel) and the receiver has a squared off end instead of rounded (won't take 870 sights as they are curved). I put on an 870 magazine tube extension and it fit just fine. It even has the "dimples" in the magazine tube just like the 870. You'll have to take care of those.

If you get the kit, you'll need to order a spring. The one that comes with the kit won't work because the 870 only holds 3 in the magazine and these will hold 5. You can get the sring from brownells. They all come 1 length so you'll have to cut it to an appropriate length.

I have a pardner "home defense". It is very close to a remington 870. The only difference is the barrel shroud (won't take an 870 barrel) and the receiver has a squared off end instead of rounded (won't take 870 sights as they are curved). I put on an 870 magazine tube extension and it fit just fine. It even has the "dimples" in the magazine tube just like the 870. You'll have to take care of those.

If you get the kit, you'll need to order a spring. The one that comes with the kit won't work because the 870 only holds 3 in the magazine and these will hold 5. You can get the sring from brownells. They all come 1 length so you'll have to cut it to an appropriate length.

cool that was the info i was looking for, one question, when you say dimples what exactly do you mean? the little tangs inside the tube that hold the retainer. do you have to file them out so shells will clear? i would like to find a shorter barrel for it also as mine is the 28" version. the only thing i can think of call H&R to see if they will sell me a shorter one as i would like to keep the longer one too.

The dimples hold the spring retainer in place just like on the newer 870s. If you don't get rid of them in some manner your shells will hang up on them and the extension will be worthless. When I did mine, there were different methods of getting rid of them out there on the internet. I chose to file them down. One way was to hammer a socket from a socket set down the tube and flatten them (they are just punched in the tube). But I thought there was a good chance I'd snap the tube off (it would be my luck). Filing didn't take long.

I think H&R is about the only place you can get barrels. Mine was 18.5" already. The gun only cost me $150 new. I wasn't going to put too much $$ into it. At the time I bought it, I was just dabbling in 3 gun and wanted something cheap I could extend out to division capacity. For $150 plus $50 for a tube kit and spring the price was right. Of course I got addicted to 3 gun and went whole hog with a benelli. But for the $$ I'll throw it in my truck and leave it.

The dimples hold the spring retainer in place just like on the newer 870s. If you don't get rid of them in some manner your shells will hang up on them and the extension will be worthless. When I did mine, there were different methods of getting rid of them out there on the internet. I chose to file them down. One way was to hammer a socket from a socket set down the tube and flatten them (they are just punched in the tube). But I thought there was a good chance I'd snap the tube off (it would be my luck). Filing didn't take long.

I think H&R is about the only place you can get barrels. Mine was 18.5" already. The gun only cost me $150 new. I wasn't going to put too much $$ into it. At the time I bought it, I was just dabbling in 3 gun and wanted something cheap I could extend out to division capacity. For $150 plus $50 for a tube kit and spring the price was right. Of course I got addicted to 3 gun and went whole hog with a benelli. But for the $$ I'll throw it in my truck and leave it.

i just ordered a choate +5 tube from midway. it says designed as a 10round extension, the spring may work if not ill get one from brownells. i see what you mean on those dimples ill knock em down with a file. i figure i could put a couple dollars into a $5 dollar shot gun.

Thanks for the help

Andy