Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focus - Target or Front Sight ?

Corjyn

One quick thing I'd like to add....You won't get in to trouble using a front sight focus. You probably won't get into too much trouble using a target focus either. The dangerous part is when you don't focus on either one.

I've been doing this stuff for a long time now, and the other day I was doing a little group shooting at 25 yards wondering why I couldn't hit shit. What I had thought was front sight focus - wasn't....and it was very apparent on paper. When that finally hit me, I focused real hard exclusively on the front sight and shot a 2 inch group.

It's amazing...I know what to do, have taught many many people and given tons of advice on what to do, all the while I got lazy and wasn't even doing it myself. So I guess the point is, if you are shooting with a front sight focus and still can't hit the target well (assuming you have good trigger control) maybe you really aren't focusing as hard on the sight as you think.

That's good stuff.

When you are really looking right at the front sight, it will look like a giant, square building, with razor sharp edges, silhouetted against the sky.

be

This is exactly what I go through. I know what to do, instruct others what to do, and then do not do it myself. This became evident at the 2009 PSA shoot. During all six stages I was drifting from a series of shots with a sharp front sight, and then bam, started watching the targets and started missing. Back to the sights, hits. This would happen 2-3 times on each stage. It is frustrating to know what you are doing wrong and still do it anyways. John

Very interesting topic. I have learnt a lot from reading this forum.

If I may, I will add my two cents.

Focusing on the FS is must for me and it works, really does.

This is a first step to start calling shots, however it work better with

proper grip technique. I am not talking 'universal' grip technique, I start believing

there is not such a thing, but one which works for me and helps me bring the FS faster

on the target. One more thing, to keep shooting where we aim, I notice for myself at least

shoulders, yes shoulders must be squared to the target.

Thanks guys