Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil-spring rates for smaller Glock slides

nYdGeo

Good day, everyone! I’ve found that my experience regarding recoil spring-rates agrees more or less with the masses with regards to the Glock 35. Using 180gr loads with something like N310-N320 a 15lb spring seems about perfect. Another 180gr load that I use for other purposes uses N350, more of a mid-speed open power that has more push left when the bullet leaves the barrel. I find that the factory weight 17lb spring soaks these up a bit nicer.

It has long been said that the Glock factory calculation for spring rates is a flawed system, supposedly being based solely on slide-weight. Therefore, I am here to ask if anyone has any advice regarding recoil spring weights for major loads from a Glock model 23.

The default is an 18lb which for major loads is probably close. I tried 15lb or 16lb, but this produces a huge wallop when the slide smacks the frame when fully opened and throws the pistol all over the place. In testing using that 180gr N350 load, it seems to cycle reliably even weak-hand using a 20lb & 22lb spring, and most of the time using a 24lb.

I know that we’re in search of that perfect balance…the lightest spring that, well, works best all the way around. So, back to my question…any thoughts on recoil spring rates for a Glock 23 using 180gr major loads?

Secondarily, I hear the same about my little model 27. I understand that they are softly sprung and I only fire full-power loads through it, and carry Corbon 135gr for defense. Even with the dual-spring system, the 16lb default seems light with that extremely light-weight slide. Would anyone have any recommendations regarding moving to a Wolf 18lb, 20lb, 22lb or 24lb spring set?

I know that what works for one will not work for another and the thing to do is purchase the calibration packs. But if someone has already tried say the model 27 22lb & 24lb recoil spring sets with something like Corbons, and has experienced unreliability or just very unpleasant behavior, that may save me from wasting that bit of time and money.

Regardless, any constructive input regarding recoil spring rates for either the model 23 or 27 is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

• 7 years later...