Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Puller

Has any one tried a press mounted bullet puller like RCBS Collet Bullet Puller or Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller on a Dillon RL550B, set up in a extra tool head by its self? I was wondering if it would work OK or would it put to much stress on the shell plate pulling down on it?

Thanks for your input!

Dale

Has any one tried a press mounted bullet puller like RCBS Collet Bullet Puller or Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller on a Dillon RL550B, set up in a extra tool head by its self? I was wondering if it would work OK or would it put to much stress on the shell plate pulling down on it?

Thanks for your input!

Dale

Truthfully, I've used both brands and were it me I'd use an old (or a cheapo) single stage for this. I've not used one on a 550 and though it "might not" stress the shellplate more than a real sticky piece of brass coming off the expander funnel, seems like a real waste of a toolhead. Shucks, you can even buy the low-end Lee SS for the price of a puller & collet. FWIW, I prefer the Hornady Cam-Lock between the two.

Single stage it. There shouldn't be too much stress on the shell plate but do stress it enough and anything will give. Better to stress a piece of equipment that's not used often.

You should be able to get a used single stage press fairly inexpensively if you look around. And a new Lee Reloader Press is only about $30 new.

I have an old Lee Challenger press gathering dust and a Lee Breech Lock which I use for some misc stuff, including a bullet puller. I've been thinking about replacing both with a Lee Turret. I rather think that a basic turret press is probably the most flexible press both as a first press and as a backup. I think they go for under $80 new.

Edited by Graham Smith