Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 changing primer setups

I don't see anything about this in the manual, but when it comes time to change back from small to large primer setups, what's the best way to empty the primer magazine? If I remove the early warning buzzer and replace the follower, will all the primers feed through just by working the handle, or will I have to remove the primer assembly and turn it over to dump the last few primers out the top?

The best way is to load them out, but yes you can remove the system and dump them out into a container. They are held in the system until you dump them out the top. It is best to put them back in their original packageing before you store them.

FWIW

Richard

+2 on loading them out. In the 650 you can cycle the primers out of the primer feed without loading rounds, but not so much with the 550. You would have to remove each primer from the primer cup by hand and that would take some time.

Either load them out or dump them.

Randy

I don't see anything about this in the manual, but when it comes time to change back from small to large primer setups, what's the best way to empty the primer magazine? If I remove the early warning buzzer and replace the follower, will all the primers feed through just by working the handle, or will I have to remove the primer assembly and turn it over to dump the last few primers out the top?

+1 on loading them out. Barring that, there's always the cool whip container under the press and, take the whole primer assembly off VERY SLOWLY (that little white post will only hold them in so long) and dump them into a bowl or your flip tray.

But I haven't found a way that doesn't end up with loose primers on the bench and/or floor. So I load them out.

Mike, if there are too many, the weight of them will force them out the bottom of the tube possibly.

I should add to my earlier post that keeping the primer bar under the whole thing will help keep the primers from going all over the place.

FWIW

Richard