Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun balance vs. weight

pivoproseem

I've got 3 guns I shoot IDPA and USPSA with...a CZ-75B, CZ SP-01, and a Tanfoglio/ EAA Witness Match .40.

I shot only the 75 for several years before getting the SP-01 and it seemed to take me a while to come to grips with the extra weight up front. I got the Tanfo several months ago, and it seemed like the perfect gun for my hands (after I put some grips from Henning Wallgren on it). Just by holding the guns in my hand I thought the SP-01 was the heaviest. What I found out when I got my scale...guns weighed with empty mag.

75= 37 ounces (has the cz rubber grips installed)

SP01=38.5 ounces (has Marschal thin wood grips)

Match=41.5

I really couldn't believe that the SP-01 weighed less than the Match..and that the 75 weighs so close to the SP-01. I've found out that I prefer a heavier gun, but with less of the weight up front. I'd thought about getting a CZ Tactical Sports (or a Witness Limited) but I'm thinking it would be wasted money, but will I be at a disadvantage shooting a gun with less weight up front? I think things would balance out by the lighter gun being easier to transition...

I've got 3 guns I shoot IDPA and USPSA with...a CZ-75B, CZ SP-01, and a Tanfoglio/ EAA Witness Match .40.

I shot only the 75 for several years before getting the SP-01 and it seemed to take me a while to come to grips with the extra weight up front. I got the Tanfo several months ago, and it seemed like the perfect gun for my hands (after I put some grips from Henning Wallgren on it). Just by holding the guns in my hand I thought the SP-01 was the heaviest. What I found out when I got my scale...guns weighed with empty mag.

75= 37 ounces (has the cz rubber grips installed)

SP01=38.5 ounces (has Marschal thin wood grips)

Match=41.5

I really couldn't believe that the SP-01 weighed less than the Match..and that the 75 weighs so close to the SP-01. I've found out that I prefer a heavier gun, but with less of the weight up front. I'd thought about getting a CZ Tactical Sports (or a Witness Limited) but I'm thinking it would be wasted money, but will I be at a disadvantage shooting a gun with less weight up front? I think things would balance out by the lighter gun being easier to transition...

I have the Tanfoglio (EAA Witness is the US) Model "L" and even with the shorter slide installed it weighs to much for IDPA SSP. I have shot it in ESP with decent results but prefer a 1911 in 9MM when shooting ESP. While it is possible to get the CZ's down to below 38 oz for IDPA SSP the Tanfoglios all seem to be to heavy.

Take Care

Bob

For me, I went from light gun to heavy spo1. It only takes about 400rds to get use to it

and for some reason, I get better hits with a heavier gun? Transitions won't win matches good practice will..I'll take

my better hits everyday and you'll eventually even out your transition with splits after shooting

the spo1..trust me. The only way to test out a gun is to shoot it at a local match or ask a buddy if you can

shoot a few stages with the gun you want to try out. I did that with the spo1 and I shot better with it with my

open gun?

Edited by shooterbenedetto

My main gripe with the SP-01 right now is the Marschal grips I have on it to make weight in IDPA. They make the gun feel FAT. I much prefer the stock rubber grips. If I were shooting Prod ot Lim/ minor wih it, I'd get a set of the CZ Competition aluminum grips. Otherwise, I love the SP-01

For me, I went from light gun to heavy spo1. It only takes about 400rds to get use to it

and for some reason, I get better hits with a heavier gun? Transitions won't win matches good practice will..I'll take

my better hits everyday and you'll eventually even out your transition with splits after shooting

the spo1..trust me. The only way to test out a gun is to shoot it at a local match or ask a buddy if you can

shoot a few stages with the gun you want to try out. I did that with the spo1 and I shot better with it with my

open gun?