Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Devil's Triangle

benos

This thread was started by Pat Harrison and lost during the conversion…

Pat Harrison (wrote):

O.k. I got this from Todd Jarrett (credit where credit is due)

Set up three targets, about a meter (yard for U.S. guys) apart. Ten yards back set up two boxes 5m apart so that the target array is centered between them. Add a box that is to the rear so that it forms an equilateral triangle, each side being 5m. (you can adjust triangle size and distance to targets depending on skill level)

Now load up, on the start signal...

1) move from the rear box to the front left, fire two shots on each target as you move from the start box to the left box. Shooting should be complete as you arrive at second box, not before, not after, but as you get to box.

2) repeat but move to front right box

3) now move from front right box to front left box same rules apply

4) move from front left back to front right.

5) add a forward fault line between front two boxes, start at rear box and repeat exercise moving up to fault line.

6) start at fault line and move back to rear box.

The idea here is to have all A's, and start shooting as soon as possible leaving box and be done as you get to next box/fault line. You can throw a twist in by having two poppers, one on either side of array, one must be dropped before you leave, and one must be dropped after you enter second box.

This drill can also be used to work on box to box movement (although I think it has more value as a shooting on the move drill). Instead of shooting on move, shoot 3 targets then move to next box following the same pattern as above. Vary the spacing of the boxes and you can begin to determine your 'par' times for movement covering diferent distances.

FYI my times on this drill for shooting on the move run 3.10 - 3.25 for all moves. (all A's)

Flexmoney:

Pat,

You are right, it is similar to the box drill. Nice variations though. I like the idea of starting and stopping with the poppers too. That would make for a more advanced exercise incorporating getting out of, and into the box.

Keep them coming. While I don't get a chance to shoot all the drills, I do get to think about them.

Thanks for posting.

Phil Dunlop:

Great drill Pat, thanks!

I've shot it a couple of times now, but I am curious about your (or anyones) technique for shooting the right to left lateral (assuming you're right handed)

do you engage left target first, and what about your footwork? do you turn your body or walk sideways crossing feet?

I had no problems with the other parts of this drill, but felt this was the most awkward stage.

Pat Harrison:

Always shoot in the direction of travel, If you move right to left, shoot right to left, this keeps you from twisting to much which is when you'll throw shots. Walk straight ahead but Matt Burkett clued me into something, turn your inside (the one closest to targets) foot in towards the bank of targets. This takes load off of your back which will make it a bit more comfotable. Also for fun try turning and shooting it while walking backwards going right to left, and left to right (never know when it might come in handy)

Phil Dunlop:

Thanks Pat, re shot the drill today especially the Rt-Lt lateral.

Experimented with the foot possitions and found the best to be to keep the feet pointed in the direction of travel and twist at the waist.

Pat Harrison:

It really shows how subtle changes affect your shooting. I've found the most important thing is not to twist too much. If you really have to turn to engage the targets, you should either cross over steps or even reverse and start to walk backwards and engage that way.

I don't think there's a real 'how to' about shooting and moving, there are some minor keys to watch for, like shooting while one foot is in the air, not when it leaves the ground or as it touches down. Both of these will pull shots. Just pay attention to what you see as you move. If you will the sights to stay level while you fire the shots and give control over to your vision, your body will figure out how to make it happen. It's like riding a bike, at first you fall down alot, then as your body gets the idea of balance and keeping balanced while peddling it becomes no big deal and you can almost do anything while riding without losing your balance. But there's no way to say "Heres how to ride a bike." Its more of a feel than a step by step process. Thats why I usually use carrying a coffee as an analogy. We all know how to do it but nobody really had to instruct us. You just watch the surface of the liquid and through force of will your body does whatever it takes to keep it from spilling. (somebodies gonna be staining their carpet again, coffee doesn't come out so easy so its extra incentive!)

Rich Bagoly:

For me the key to shooting on the move is attitude.

If I try to move with as much speed as I can, and still get my hits, I will probably not use my full quota of pasters.

What works is to have the conviction that I will get low, SEE EACH SHOT, and let my feet move as they may.

When I get it right, I am giving up very little time.

When I can get it right nearly every time, I think it will be time to perfect the technique.

Nolan:

I like this drill, but then I like most moving and shooting drills. I set the targets at 15 yards about 3 yards apart.

My times averaged about 3.75-3.90 with the first shot at 1.35 (both feet out of the box). BUT I had to slow down to 4.25 to get all A's. I would get at least 1 or 2 C's if I shot any faster. †I've recently been having a problem with just shooting brown instead of shooting A's. Especially with the second shot.

I did notice that I do not pay any attention to foot position (up/down) while shooting. I knew where I was in relation to the boxes, but the sights were the only thing I was really conscious of.

MattBurkett:

from Pat Harrison on 4:04 am on June 9, 2001[br]It really shows how subtle changes affect your shooting. I've found the most important thing is not to twist too much. If you really have to turn to engage the targets, you should either cross over steps or even reverse and start to walk backwards and engage that way.

I don't think there's a real 'how to' about shooting and moving, there are some minor keys to watch for, like shooting while one foot is in the air, not when it leaves the ground or as it touches down. Both of these will pull shots. Just pay attention to what you see as you move. If you will the sights to stay level while you fire the shots and give control over to your vision, your body will figure out how to make it happen.

Pat

Pat, just taking a look at some old posts. I hate to contradict you, but, I need to clear up a few bits on this issue.

As far as I am concerned, you should never have your feet cross over each other except in the single transitional step going into a reverse motion.

If your moving smoothly and rolling your feet properly, it will not matter when your firing. Imagine a cushion of air underneath each foot as it lands. In practice pay particular attention to the landing of each heal.

Pat Harrison:

No prob, you're right, I never felt comfortable crossing over, mostly because I can't use a heel / toe movement, mainly I was making the point not to twist too far and left that as one option.