Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm Luger OAL in 1911

Baer45

I have been trying to come up with the right combination in a recipe to shoot the Laser Cast LRN 124/25 gr. lead bullets in my 5 inch semi custom 1911's. OAL is a key. I extend it to fit the barrel but when I do so it throws my powder load off. I have had a hard time coming up with an accurate load with my Laser Cast bullets. I know they are a little harder but even with Laser Cast recipes ( I have tried 2) I'm not getting the accuracy I should....

Any suggestions for OAL and succesfully tried recipes appreciated...

With LRN you need a little bit off the shoulder sticking out, at least a thumbnail's thickness or a little bit more.

Start at 3.2gr of W-231 and load up to where you get your desired accuracy. For less pain in the assedness I recommend a Lee factory taper crimp die to finish off your lead ammo so it all chambers like it is supposed to. I dont care who makes them, not all lead bullets are perfect, and this insures it will chamber to fire. Makes life pretty simple.

If the W 231 wont shoot, then try a differnent bullet style...but it should.....

Good luck,

DougC

With LRN you need a little bit off the shoulder sticking out, at least a thumbnail's thickness or a little bit more.

Start at 3.2gr of W-231 and load up to where you get your desired accuracy. For less pain in the assedness I recommend a Lee factory taper crimp die to finish off your lead ammo so it all chambers like it is supposed to. I dont care who makes them, not all lead bullets are perfect, and this insures it will chamber to fire. Makes life pretty simple.

If the W 231 wont shoot, then try a differnent bullet style...but it should.....

Good luck,

DougC

Doug- Somehow 2 post showed up so maybe the Monitor will get rid of one of them. Thanks. Using a softer lead sold locally I have been able to get a heck of an accurate round but when I go to the Laser Cast (which i have a ton of) I can not get the same accuracy. I do not believe i have tried W-231 yet in the 9. Mostly Power Pistol and one Powder reccomended by Laser Cast...I went through this before in the forum 6 months or so ago but let the matter drop when I started shooting the local brand lead.

Thanks again and I "heard" you on the Lee die!

Court, the problem, if there is one, with the lasercast is that it is so hard.....The softer lead bullets obiturate, or expand in the barrel properly with the powder you are using, and that is why you are getting better accuracy.

I would imagine that the harder lasercast bullets are not expanding as much if you are using faster powders and needs a medium range powder, like 231 or Unique, to slow the burn down enough to get the bullet out without flamecutting past the base or melting the base as well.

As always, I hope this info was useful....

DougC