Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for .38 super comp CMJ's

duct tape

I'm going to be loading up a batch of .38 super comp based on some local shooter info and several internet posts. Assuming I want to use a recipe from a load with a JHP 124gr MG bullet with an OAL of 1.235", but use a CMJ MG bullet instead, can I still use the same OAL or does it vary b/c of the different profiles of the two bullet tips? My concern is the more pointed CMJ bullet might be a little longer requiring a slightly deeper seating and raising pressures.

Here's the starting load:

7.6gr 7625

WLR primers

Starline brass

124 CMJ

Thx.

Might get a bit dicey with a large rifle primer. :surprise: Yeah I know it's just a typo.

I ran 7.5 grains of 7625 under a MG 121 IFP bullet at 1.240" OAL with a power factor of 172. This was in my 5" Bedell open gun. 7 port comp, no poppel holes. YMMV.

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

1.235" is almost always a really good OAL for any 38Super/SC load. Any longer and they may not eject cleanly for ULSC.

In most cases that I've seen, going from a JHP to an FMJ/TMJ/CMJ of the same weight you'll lose a little velocity because the CMJs normally take up a bit less case volume. Still, it's not usually a huge difference. That can vary somewhat based on the two bullet profiles, but that load doesn't look to be as high as many I've seen with 7625 so you should be okay. R,