Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 sizing question

I have done lots of reloading over the years but have always thought that you couldn't use carbide dies on rifle brass. I was watching this video

and it seems he is sizng his 223 brass with having to deal with lube. I also noted that Brian has carbide dies listed for 223. So is my understanding correct that you can load 223 without having to mess with lube? Thanks for any help you can offer. I did search and didn't see an answer. Also has anybody used this setup in a Hornady LNL AP? akraven

I have done lots of reloading over the years but have always thought that you couldn't use carbide dies on rifle brass. I was watching this video
and it seems he is sizng his 223 brass with having to deal with lube. I also noted that Brian has carbide dies listed for 223. So is my understanding correct that you can load 223 without having to mess with lube? Thanks for any help you can offer. I did search and didn't see an answer. Also has anybody used this setup in a Hornady LNL AP? akraven

Bottleneck cases still need lube. Carbide rifle dies are for longevity. The cases are probably lubed with a spray lube, such as Dillon's.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

If you use the Dillon carbide dies, you still need lube, but very little of it.

Once my cases were cleaned, I had a cardboard box cut down so only a 1.5 inch lip or so remained, and I'd lay the cases out like french fries. (Little or no overlap.)

A very light spritz with the Dillon pump spray lube, 6+ inches over the top of the tray was all I needed.

Just be sure to let the cases dry before use, and run them through te tumbler again after loading to remove the lube. Untreated corn cob works best.

you can make your own spray lube with denatured alchohol or 99% alchohol and stp oil treatment, use a 5 to 1 ratio and shake it up good. don't use less % alchohol or you'll have a mess.

I use a ultrasonic cleaner to get my brass clean after sizing, triming and neck beveling, they look brand new afterwards, even primer pockets. found that little info out on 6mmbr web site, the spray lube i found on homebrew recipes site.

Oh yes you have to lube bottle neck brass to size, also get some inside the brass as well as the outside.