Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cannelure on .38 Super bullets

A-shot

Are cannelure normal on .38 super bullets, 125 gr? I opened a case of MG, .356 that have them. I also opened a case of Roze bullets, they have gas checks/cannelure too, at .357. Are these for .38 special, or did both companies start using it on their bullets? It's been a long time since I have reloaded. And should I be ok using both for .38 super, I was thinking about saving the Roze for a revo, but the MG should be all good, right?

post-9131-1237148535_thumb.jpg

Edited by A-shot

.38 Super bullets don't normally have a cannelure. Neither do most bullets for other auto cartridges. That's because the case headspaces on the case mouth and if you crimp the mouth into the cannelure, it can't headspace properly. I've only purchased Zero 125gr JHPs, MG 121gr IFP, 115gr TMJ and 115gr JHPs, but I haven't seen a cannelure on any of them.

MG only makes one .356" bullet right now. It's 130gr and doesn't have a cannelure. The bullet you have looks like their .38/357 125gr bullet that they list at .357". They'd should work fine in a Super. The Zero bullet doesn't look like anything I've seen them produce lately and it doesn't look like anything they list on their website. None of their .356 bullets is shown with a cannelure. Still, they should work fine in a Super as well. R,

Thanks. I may have may a mistake in ordering, it was a long time ago. I was just wanted to make sure.

They should work fine. In fact, I know the guys as Schuemann (Wil and Mike) say that slightly oversized is better than being right at bore diameter. Less blowby of hot gases so you get less flame cutting and longer barrel life. They're doing some testing using .357 bullets in .355 barrels with excellent accuracy and no wear issues. R,

I have never found a problem using 38 special bullets in any of my minor 38 super loads or any of my 3 38 super guns (two autos and one revolver. In fact, the slight oversize sure gives me some good accuracy.

Jim

The Zero's look like the 95gr .355" for the 380ACP. But you say they are 125gr. I think miking and checking for actual weight is in order. If the 95grainer I use some for steel and light loads for kids to shoot.

I think G-Manbart is correct for the MG's. They look just like the 125gr that a friend uses in his 38spl.

Test a small sample of ammo and see how they go. Many guns will function and be accurate with .357", but unlike some I don't use tehm myself. Teh right bullet is the right bullet.

If you have a modern Super it will be a .355" groove diameter and will work better with the correct diameter projectile. But may not work badly with the wrong diameter.

Edited by gm iprod