Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone try 200 grain lead hollow base rn in 45acp?

ironman5669

ironman,

What caliber? (45, I assume...)

Are they swaged or cast? (swaged, I assume....)

Where did you get them?

What gun-- auto or revolver?

What diameter are they?

Generally, I think you could treat them as you would any other 200 gr. bullet if using them in a 45, and attempting to make major. Same loads should work, although without testing its hard to say what the actual velocities would be.

Edited by Ray R.

I used quite a few Precision 200gr hollow base RNFP in my SW 625. I had to use 5.1 or 5.2gr Winchester Super Target to reliably make PF. The lack of a lube groove made for a long bearing surface. A regular lead 200gr flat base RNFP made PF with about 5.0gr WST.

Also the charge weights for N-320 were almost identical to WST with those bullets.

Chris

I have tried loading 205 gr RNHB moly coated bullets in .45 ACP. It was a bit frustrating...until I figured out what the problem was(I think). Although I am not a ballistician I surmise this:

When a hollow base bullet is used we need to consider that we have in a way (via the cavity in the base of the bullet) increased the amount of space the powder is captured in before ignition. I presented the loaded 1911 to the chronograph directly from the holster, and fired 5 rounds thru the chrono. I then loaded the pistol with another 5 round mag and held the muzzle straight up before aiming it thru the chronograph and firing each of the 5 rounds.

From the holster the standard deviation was significant for the 5 rounds....about 110 FPS. For the 5 rounds with the pistol starting muzzle up before leveling it to the chronograph for each shot the SD was only 30. I was using REX II powder which I do not think is overly sensitive reference position within the case.

With the muzzle up test the powder was stacked mostly against the primer, and thus the ignition more consistent. With the muzzle up test the powder was not only spread out in the case, but in the HB of the bullet as well.....and its position was less consistent and so was the velocity.

I abandoned the HB bullets and went back to the 230's.

I would be interested to hear how your HB bullets work out.

ironman,

What caliber? (45, I assume...)

Are they swaged or cast? (swaged, I assume....)

Where did you get them?

What gun-- auto or revolver?

What diameter are they?

Generally, I think you could treat them as you would any other 200 gr. bullet if using them in a 45, and attempting to make major. Same loads should work, although without testing its hard to say what the actual velocities would be.

[/quote

ok, it is a 45 acp .452 diameter moly coated bullet and I am shooting them from a para ordinance limited 5"

I just got a thousand 200 gr hbrn bullets and want to use them in our local match this weekend, has anyone tried these before, what recipe's did you try?

I assume you are referring to Bear Creek HB 45 ACP 200 Gr. RN.

If so Solo 1000 and HP-38 work the best and can make PF.

I have tried loading 205 gr RNHB moly coated bullets in .45 ACP. It was a bit frustrating...until I figured out what the problem was(I think). Although I am not a ballistician I surmise this:

When a hollow base bullet is used we need to consider that we have in a way (via the cavity in the base of the bullet) increased the amount of space the powder is captured in before ignition. I presented the loaded 1911 to the chronograph directly from the holster, and fired 5 rounds thru the chrono. I then loaded the pistol with another 5 round mag and held the muzzle straight up before aiming it thru the chronograph and firing each of the 5 rounds.

From the holster the standard deviation was significant for the 5 rounds....about 110 FPS. For the 5 rounds with the pistol starting muzzle up before leveling it to the chronograph for each shot the SD was only 30. I was using REX II powder which I do not think is overly sensitive reference position within the case.

With the muzzle up test the powder was stacked mostly against the primer, and thus the ignition more consistent. With the muzzle up test the powder was not only spread out in the case, but in the HB of the bullet as well.....and its position was less consistent and so was the velocity.

I abandoned the HB bullets and went back to the 230's.

I would be interested to hear how your HB bullets work out.

Yup,sounds familier.I had the same issues when trying to work up an ICORE Minor load for my 625.I tried Clays,WST,and even Bullseye under them.I ended up using Trail Boss to get any consistency at all.Even then they were pretty awful in the accuracy department.I'm sticking with flat based bullets.-Mike