Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case gauge usage

Ok, so I've found a sticking point with how to use a case gauge that I can't seem to answer from the instructions.

On the .223 gauge, it says to check the size by using the gauge with the brass inserted and then having it be between the low cut and high cut. Ok, that make sense.

But then to check case length, it say to put the brass in the gauge, turn the gauge over on a flat surface and use the low cut/high cut on the length side....

OK, but what if the size allows the case to fall into the gauge between the 2 steps on the size side? Do you take the size side into account when you measure length or not?

In other words, would you put the brass in the gauge, hold it up against the shoulder and then use the length side of the gauge, or not worry about whether the brass is up against the shoulder when you measure lenght?

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so I've found a sticking point with how to use a case gauge that I can't seem to answer from the instructions.

On the .223 gauge, it says to check the size by using the gauge with the brass inserted and then having it be between the low cut and high cut. Ok, that make sense.

But then to check case length, it say to put the brass in the gauge, turn the gauge over on a flat surface and use the low cut/high cut on the length side....

OK, but what if the size allows the case to fall into the gauge between the 2 steps on the size side? Do you take the size side into account when you measure length or not?

In other words, would you put the brass in the gauge, hold it up against the shoulder and then use the length side of the gauge, or not worry about whether the brass is up against the shoulder when you measure lenght?

Alan

Alan

A good set of Calibers works miracles.