Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1187 sling setup

SMSI

Let me guess. Blue Ridge? I'm working on the same thing.

I'm going with Viking Tactic slings on both the rifle and shotgun. I'm using a Browning Gold. I'm able to attach sling studs on the stock and forearm. The quick adjustable feature on this sling enables me to pull it up tight which should come in handy during all the movement that it looks like we'll be doing. You could simply loop the front portion of the sling around the tube and tape it off if you can't get a sling stud on the forearm. Viking tactics makes a sling mount strap for the butt stock if you don't have an attachment on the stock.

MHearn

Mark: John Waters here. I'm all about the V-Tac sling. Will probably go with the buttstock attachment. Don't know about the forend. Wonder if those clamps that affix to the barrel and the tube affect accuracy? How/where did you afix the sling swivel in front?

John

Good to hear from you. Slings on shotguns. Its been awhile since I've had to do that.

I'll send you some pictures tonight after I get of the house.

Mine is attached to the underside of the hand guard. tested with and without at 100 yard steel. No discernible impact on accuracy. Pics pending.

MHearn

Edited by mhearn

Mark: So you just drilled a hole and used threaded stud and nut. Looks good. Don't see how that could affect accuracy.

Thanks Kurt for the heads up. I suspected those clamps would pull the barrel out of line.

Wonder if those clamps that affix to the barrel and the tube affect accuracy?
I am not sure if accuracy was affected (my slug skills are questionable) but expect POI to change. It might not; on my 1100 there was no change when clamp was added or removed, but that was a static target. Put tension on the sling when shooting, POI will change. That's why AR shooters use free float tubes.

V-tac and buttstock attachment is my choice for sling matches, but I have not run that many. I have 2, one each for rifle and shotgun.

Lee

Well, I'm not intending to use the sling as a shooting aid while firing (like we do for rifle) - just to get thru the stages requiring a slung shotgun. wonder if the clamp will thro off the POI in that situation? It sure is a lot easier for a temporary solution. Also, I am afraid that if I drill a hole in my old wood 1187 foreend, it might split. I am no gunsmith or woodworker!

Another thought is to use a couple of plastic ties (a fat one on the tube holding a thinner one on that) - along with some duct tape to hinder slippage - to jury rig a loop to serve as a swivel stud. That would probably work for a temporary fix.

Surely there are some better ideas out there.

John

My synthetic forearm had a hole in it already. No drilling necessary. It also had the inside ledge for the nut to sit on to keep it out of the way of the tube. I share your reluctance to do any drilling. Good luck.

MHearn