Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensators, Barrel Weights

spook

The very cool new thread about Open Revolver class made me wonder. Do compensators on revolvers make sense? What "common" designs are there? Do they only work with very high pressure loads? Does anyone have pictures of their Open revolver comp? Are barrel weights more effective?

A ton of Q's, I know, but I thought this would be a nice "general" open revolver thread. I've done some searching (here and on the web), but couldn't find very much.

I'm thinking of having my smith build an open revolver I can use for Steel challenge, Bianchi and maybe even IPSC open (just for fun).

Yes, if Ned Christiansen is happy enough with a revolver comp design to let it see the light of day, you know it is effective.

I built my 8-pin gun on a re-built S&W M-28 converted to .45 ACP. I had Mag na Port put a total of seven slots in it, and was just getting it to stay down when Second Chance ended. Even at the relatively low pressure of .45 ACP, comps work. (geez, build data from the early 80's is still useful)

Weights are something else. For a PPC gun, which just has to hang there (and you can't port or comp anyway) extra weight makes sense. But who wants to be swinging a boat anchor from target to target?

Spook , a kinda similar compensator is made by Armtech.

They developed it for some dutch Bianchi Cup shooters.

Maybe you could take a visit one of these days.

btw, although he can do it on his own, keep the fingers crossed for Eric B)

Greetings

Adrie