Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rcbs Dies

old john

Has anyone tied the rcbs lockout powder die (powder checker) on their 550b? Did it work well? If so, that means you can probably answer the next question.

Does their seating/crimping die work well with range brass since the case lengths will vary some unless one trims?

I am really looking for another set of eyes to act as a double charge checker since I am using tightgroup. I love the ease of the 550b and don't want to change to a 650 even though it has the extra station for a powder checker. I load for three pistols and change over a lot. thanks, old john

I have a relatively new dillon 550b and i'm approaching the 10,000 reload mark so i'm basically a newb to reloading.

I imagine the only place you can put the lockout die is staion 3? Your left hand will then be reaching into the press to place a bullet in station four. I stuck a few cases into my press just now to test and didn't have a whole lot clearance to do this, but I have large hands and the hair on my palms kept getting caught in the shellplate :P

The system I use as a double/squid prevention is have a light shining in station 3, have the press at a good height to give a good view of station 3, and i stand slightly left of the center of my press so i can concentrate on station 3.

I think there is a post about someone drilling a hole in the top of their 550b to stick a fiberoptic attachment from a mag light into for more light and another with someone mounting a little mirror to get a good view of the powder level.

I use Clays in .45 and shudder to think what a double charge would do too.

Josh