Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is classification needed

Strick

I want to shoot a couple of major matches but at the moment I am unclassified. Do I need to be classified before I can shoot a bigger match like a state match?

As long as you are a USPSA member you can shoot in most Level 2 and 3 matches but will be shooting as "unclassified". At some of these matches unclassified shooters participate only for score and not awards.

To get classified, shoot the same division in 4 local matches that include classifiers and you will get your card. Sometimes a local club will hold a "classifier" match that will include at least four classifiers so that you can get it done in one weekend.

For many the season is just starting and hopefully you will be able to shoot sufficient classifiers before that first big match.

Bill

For many the season is just starting and hopefully you will be able to shoot sufficient classifiers before that first big match.

Bill

I need to look at the schedule again but there is a match hear in TX that I would like to shoot in but it is the end of next month and I only have shot 1 classifier so far. Maybe I need to see if I can find a classifier match nearby. Of course I am still waiting for my membership to show up also.

When is the big match?

Area 1 is not until June, but I was concerned with being unclassified, so I waited until I earned my first classification in early Feb before submitting my registration. Turns out, I shouldn't have been worried since they pull all of our classifications right before the match. Highly doubtful that I'll go from C to B in the next four months, but like I said -I shouldn't have been worried.

As long as you can shoot three more classifiers before the "big" match, and Sedro Wooley has them on file, I don't believe you need to worry about classification. At least that's what I was told.

Good luck at your match. Fun, ain't it?

Bill

I need to look at the schedule again but there is a match hear in TX that I would like to shoot in but it is the end of next month and I only have shot 1 classifier so far. Maybe I need to see if I can find a classifier match nearby. Of course I am still waiting for my membership to show up also.

Where are you located in Texas? For the major match I assume you are referring to Double Tap.

The classification system is run by USPSA between the 10th and 15th of each month. That only gives you two weekends to get your classifiers shot. If you are near Houston, this weekend is CLASS on Saturday and Baileys on Sunday. Both are held at the same location and both shoot classifiers each month. Then if you can get in one more classifier, you might make it.

Also, the Space City Challenge (Houston) is in the middle of April. Another good match.

Bill

edited to add: If you do shoot some classifiers and do not yet have your USPSA number, use "pending" and afterwards give the main organization a call. With the warning, they will watch for your scores to come in and give you credit for the classifier.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Where are you located in Texas? For the major match I assume you are referring to Double Tap.

The classification system is run by USPSA between the 10th and 15th of each month. That only gives you two weekends to get your classifiers shot. If you are near Houston, this weekend is CLASS on Saturday and Baileys on Sunday. Both are held at the same location and both shoot classifiers each month. Then if you can get in one more classifier, you might make it.

Also, the Space City Challenge (Houston) is in the middle of April. Another good match.

Bill

Yeah I was thinking about shooting Double Tap and Space City. I am in the Houston area, out in Katy and was thinking about Class and Bailey's this weekend.