Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LaRue SPR vs SPR-S for Burris XTR14 mounting

grywlfbg

All,

I found a good deal on a used Burris XTR14 so I took the plunge. My question now is about mounts.

I have a LaRue SPR-S mount that I had purchased for another optic that is currently unused. The SPR-S is .080" lower than the SPR. Will that dramatically change the performance? I would think that the closer you could get the optic to the bore the better off you would be as there would be less bore-offset when transitioning between near and far targets?

I can get an SPR but if I can save $200 I'd like to.

grywlfbg,

I for one would give the SPR-S a try...LaRue makes a great product for sure and even if you try it and don't like it you can still sell it for almost new price.

Getting the scope closer to the bore is great and has both advantages and dis-advantages...but there are some other things to think about. Get out your balistics calculator and do some math (I know this is hard for some) for the loads you are using and speed of the bullets. See what the bullet drop is if you sight in at different distances and what the bullet path is taking. This might steer you one way or the other.

Another bigger consideration is how quick you can pick up the sight picture with either. I have the SPR-E also and it just works for me. This was my key/main consideration since I have large cheek bones in the face and can't seem to get a sight picture with a lower mounted scope and or higher stock. The combination will get you to the truth.

I also had to use a mount that would place the scope more forward than the upper reciever mounts would allow. Every brand of scope is different and requires the correct stand-off so make sure you figure that out too.

Please go to a match or range and ask to see/try combinations you might be interested in. I was fortunate enough to have alot of help along the way to keep my monies in my pocket instead of in piles of equipment I don't use in my den taking up space.

I sure wish someone steered me away from my Remington buying for Multi-Gun...would have saved me! Some things can't be taught

Hope this helps...

RLTW,

Scott

Thanks for the replies all. LaRue is sending 30mm rings so I'll try the SPR-S and see if I can get a reliable sight picture (didn't think about the human factor - was simply thinking about the mechanical aspects around height over bore). I'm not a nose to charging handle person so I don't think the -E will be necessary.