Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo1000 and the .380acp

Apiarian

Greetings all,

I do not know of a better spot for this question.

I know that the .380acp is not a competition round. BUT, with all the folks here reloading and using Solo 1000, I figured what the hey.

Has anyone got any idea of the min. load (or any load) for the .380acp using S1000?

I load 9mm and 40S&W and have S1000 on hand. Therefore the reasoning for using S1000.

Edited by Apiarian

I can find data on Titegroup. It seems that by weight titegroup and solo 1000 are very close if not the same. (?)

A start load with titegroup is 2.6gr under a 100gr bullet. Does this sound like a safe SWAG with solo1000?

Apiarian, Using titegroup data for Solo 1000 does not sound like a good idea to me... But I have been wrong before. Accurate only gives two powders for loading the 380. No 2 and No 5. It is also dependent on which bullet used lead or jacketed. From what little I have read the recommended max pressure for the 380 is 17000 c.u.p. With such a small case one could start lower on the charge as long as it exits the barrel and "possibly" get away with it. What ever decission you make be very careful. Good luck later rdd

I have hundreds and hundreds of .380 reloaded with Red Dot, 3 grains behind either a Speer 88gr JHP or a Hornady XTP JHP. Pretty snappy loads, haven't chronoed them, shoot them in a FEG .380. Thinking that would work pretty good in your pistol

Greetings all,

I know that the .380acp is not a competition round. BUT, with all the folks here reloading and using Solo 1000, I figured what the hey.

Has anyone got any idea of the min. load (or any load) for the .380acp using S1000?

I load 9mm and 40S&W and have S1000 on hand. Therefore the reasoning for using S1000.

Here's the OLD Scot data sheet for Solo 1000 and 1250. There's .380 data in there.

Accurate_1000_1250.pdf

Greetings all,

Here's the OLD Scot data sheet for Solo 1000 and 1250. There's .380 data in there.

Thank you, That is a big help. I knew this was the right place to ask. :cheers:

• 1 month later...
Greetings all,

Thank you, That is a big help. I knew this was the right place to ask. :cheers:

OK, here is what I found out.

RP brass is soft and should not be used for any 380ACP upper-end loads. It stretches (guppies) way before anything else.

3.6-3.7gr Solo 1000 .935 OAL (GS seat much shorter due to the blunt nose) 102gr Rem Golden Saber

872fps ave.

A very carefully measured 3.8gr S1000 .955 OAL Rem Golden Saber 955fps ave.

This is out of a P3AT with no pressure signs.

NOW the 3.8gr at .935 OAL was beginning to flatten the center of the primer (edges were still round). After bringing it out to .955 OAL this went away.

Happy shooting

Edited by Apiarian