Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights - Total Confusion and Need to be Refocused

Gunmac

I installed a set of Dawson fiber optic fronts and an adjustable target rear on my Glock 34. Six months ago all was well.

For the past four weeks I started using a 22 conversion on my Kimber 1911. The Kimber set up is a black target front and adjustable target rear. Very accurate set up and I have become reasonably quick to get on target.

Now when I go back to the fiber optic on the Glock I can only see the dot and cannot pick up the top of the front sight. Accuracy has dropped off also. I did try to turn off the overhead lights at the range where the front optic becomes black. Accuracy did return and felt much more comfortable getting on target.

For those of you that use a fiber optic set up do you use the top of the sight or the fiber optic element? Which would be the better set up for IDPA style competition?

Thanks,

Tom

I have FO in my front sights, but I use the top of the front sight on anything other than really, really close targets. I would either put a FO front sight on the 22 conversion or pull (or blacken) the FO from your Glock so that both have the same sight picture. Eventually you may find that switching doesn't bother you, but it's obviously a problem at this point. R,

Thanks for the replies and the excellent thread.

I think I will give the black sights a longer trial. If focusing on the top of the sight is not possible with a fiber optic insert than I see accuracy decreasing even though the speed may be quicker.