Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jam with bolen bad/follower against breachface

jostein jensen

Today while dryfiring in the livingroom (yeah, she actually gave me permission to hang up targets in the livingroom!) I noticed when cycling the slide with an empty mag in a weird jam.

I haven't cut off the tabs on my followers, but I didn't think it would actually cause a jam, just lock the slide back.

When I press the slidelock, the follower twists with the rear right edge coming up into contact with the breachface. You can clearly see it interfere with the slide in the picture below. My mags do lock back with one round left in the mag, but I've never had any problems dropping in the last round with the slidelock. So I can't really tell if I've had jams while live practicing the mag.

The particular mag in question is a test mag for bolen spring/follower. Its set up by Howard with Grams guts and Dawson SNL which it is flawless with.

Should I just revert back to the Grams or try some Dremel magic to this Bolen follower?

post-8835-1234211066_thumb.jpg

JJ, if those are the mags I set up for you originally the Bolen gear may or may not work out well. Cut the ENTIRE tab off the follower that will contact the slide stop, and you might need to trim the slide stop back a little too. Try that first, worst case you are out the cost of one follower. Also test THOROUGHLY with 30 rounds to make sure they don't hang up on the first 2 or 3 rounds before taking it to a match, 29 will be good to go.