Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shot bullseyes

megathumpzilla

I shoot a lot of indoor target, it's an easy way for me to find and get into the zone. I have a tendency to shoot too much right now- I should be stopping when my groups start opening up, I'm still building mental endurance.

My last 3 times to the range, first shot has been dead center bullseye. This should be a nice little affirmation that when I relax and let it happen it's great, and that the trigger time is paying off.

I am finding that it throws me off.

That first shot was made instinctively and with no squeezed expectations. I intend on making a good shot, the perfect shot throws me. The rest of the session turns into me flopping around a bit. I try to recreate that first, most intuitive, pure shot by moving my attention allover the place trying to focus on some aspect of my form to recreate that first shot and the first experience.

Simple MOA variances become unnerving. Out of the next 20 shots I'll manage to quiet down enough to make about six very nice shots, and the rest are overminded.

Now if my first shot is low anleft, I remind myself to let the trigger break itself and everything groups up and I am fine.

This cracks me up to no end. My mind is freakin hilarious in its deviousness.

I needed to write this down and get it out, because it has become a repetitive trap. I suspect I'm making that first shot now subconsciously knowing I get to have some silly predictable mind drama play itself out. I'm over it, my mind recognizes the whole trap of choking after success and realizes it is silly. can't beat the mind with the mind.

I've been visualizing a stream of unchoked shots. My concentration started off losing it after about 4 but now I can flow the visualization up to 15 consecutive thought free hits.

Tomorrow I'll put the first 3 shots into a thumbnail group and take it from there.

Edited by megathumpzilla

I've been visualizing a stream of unchoked shots.

No...you haven't.

You mind/visualization is bassackwards.

The word "choked" has zero place in your mind/visualization. It is there. Get rid of it.

Visualize shooting the X. See what you need to see to make an X, experience what you need to experience to make an X. Repeat that for each and every shot. Think of only the current shot. Visualize it perfectly.

You know how to shoot an X.

I've been visualizing a stream of unchoked shots.

No...you haven't.

You mind/visualization is bassackwards.

The word "choked" has zero place in your mind/visualization. It is there. Get rid of it.

Visualize shooting the X. See what you need to see to make an X, experience what you need to experience to make an X. Repeat that for each and every shot. Think of only the current shot. Visualize it perfectly.

You know how to shoot an X.

Thanks!

I share your pain...i'm doing the same thing going to the indoor range once a week trying to get them all in the same hole.

About 1 in 10 starting shots take out the X it sure would be nice to put the other 7 in there :)

Been reading Brian's book and i think it boils down to slowing it down enough to watch every shot completely and getting one's wobble down to a minium with lot of range time.

Once these are acomplished i think 8 rounds groups will be much easier....easy ehh???

That's my thoughts as a newbie...only been shooting 3 months and 3,000 rounds.

Attached my first target from last w/e.

Keeping that focus for 250 rounds is hard...no doubt about it.

~Mike

.45 KIMBER TLE/RL II

post-17336-1234453946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rufftytuffty

• 2 weeks later...

One little tidbit I might add for the sake of perspective.

Here's something I noticed when I shoot groups. When comparing each shot to the previous shots, (this is what makes the individual shots a group right?) I am thinking about both the past and the future. (where did those shots go? where will the next shot go in relation to the group? and why?)

Unless all the shots go into the same hole and the size of that hole meets my "expectation" of an acceptable group, each group of shots contains "mistakes". At the instant the shot breaks, I must be fully present. My attention should not be drawn away to the size of the group. This shot must be the only shot that matters.

Man, I love shooting.