Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Standards

Rocket

3 targets 18 inches apart. 24 rounds , 120 pts. Virginia count

String 1 - 15 yds. Draw from arms at sides , 2 shots on each target freestyle , reload to strong hand only , 2 shots

on each target.

String 2 - 10 yds. As above , but reload to weak hand

I hacked this one up in the real match , so I took it home and use it as a practice drill. Todd J. won this stage (limited) with a 9.3988 hf / 11.81 sec. . You could have made the top 10 out of 94 in limited with a 6.303 hf. It's a good drill to practice and is easy to set up. It's amazing how many people really seemed to struggle with this seemingly basic stage at the match (myself included). Give it a try.

Bill

[it really separated the men from the boys]

Yes it did. It seems so easy , but at 15 yds. you really have to see every shot especially strong hand only. Shooting fast splits and transitions with accuracy at 15yds. and beyond seems to be where the big boys really shine......well they shine in alot of other places too. I've spent a great deal of my practice time on this drill since that match and it's really starting to pay off. It forces you to pay attention to details like your sights. I often fall into the habit of practicing too much at 10 yds. or closer where you can get away with a target only focus. Shooting this drill makes me pay attention to what I need to.

Bill

If I remember correctly, a similar stage was at the 1989 USPSA nationals and was shown on the Lenny Magill tape of that match. It showed some of the 'super squad' folks hosing it pretty good. I think Jerry Barnhart's time was around 4.28 sec on the first string. Tom Campbell hosed it too, with a stock-type S&W (mod. 745?) and it gave a good showing of his interesting method of reloading with magazines held in the holders 'bullet nose up and pointing forward'. Cool stage.