Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holo Sights- How Round Is Your Dot?

InTheBlack

I'd like to collect info from holographic sight users WRT how perfectly round their dots are.

I bought a Bushnell Holosight and it was crummy; very twinkly. I sent it back but it is still not really a round dot; there is some spherical aberration which I don't think corresponds to the imperfections in my own eye - besides, I'm wearing my glasses. I have the 1 MOA dot.

Please post what brand you have & the size of the dot with your observations.

BTW, does anybody make a scope cover for the new smaller Bushnell Holosights?Ä

In The Black... I shot a Bushnell 1moa Holo last year, and the dot is very spherical.... I have a pretty bad astigmatism>4.25 and wear bi focals... It worked very well at North Carolina on the 150y plates weak handed...the dot on my PDP3SD turns into a figure 8 with a little rotation... I switched to the compact 1.5x16 ACOG for other reasons... ...you might try "ScopeCoat" for a neoprene cover, they were available in the last issue of Brownell's for the compact ACOGS....regards Les

• 4 weeks later...

I run a new style Holosight on my AR and an Older style on my SV Open Pistol. I love them both. The AR has a 1 minute dot and it is very very crisp. I have various dot sizes for the pistol, with 1 minute being one of them. I use the 1 minute for Steel and 15 minute diamond for IPSC.

Here is something that I learned shooting a match this year that may or may not pertain to your situation. I was shooting our sectional championship. On the very first stage as I was shooting it appeared that the dot was fading away and then reappearing. To make a long story short, I had just gotten new perscription shooting glasses which were polarized. Fortunately, I was shooting with a professional photographer (thanks Nik!) who pointed out the problem right away. We went to the safe area and proved it. I could put my glasses in front of the scope and just by rotating the gun slightly the dot would fade in and out and become fuzzy then crisp. Fortunately, I had the old glasses and was able to finish the match without issue.