Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 barrel backbore

trickpony

My apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it anywhere...

I know the factory Benelli M2 barrel's are cryo treated but are they also backbored? I'm trying to resolve a rumor I heard that they were. and if they are not, has anyone tried it??

:cheers:

Talked to Jamie Foote about getting one done with a long back bore but there were issues that made it impractical. I "think" I recall chrome lined barrel and already a decent back bore...

But, as Jamie is fond of saying.. "I might not know nothing...."

Back bored ? is the same as "Over Bored' meaning that the inside diameter of the barrel is bigger than -Normal-

The big question is what is normal.

most Browning OU barrels are big close to .740 the Remington 1187 was normally 725

Berettas seamed to run in the .730 range.

What is the best size??? i think .725 is too small and .740 is big

I think the M2 are running at close to .735 you would have to have it measured.

the forcing cones look longer on the M2 compared to the M1 and Forcing cones do more to help than any thing. Better than any amount of barrel porting.

Seminole Gun works used to do the very best shotgun barrel work. Call and ask them , but I bet they would not take you money and tell you the Benny M2 barrel is fine the way it is.

I think what you are trying to say is "Overbored" and that trem is relitve to what Normal used to be.

I have a newer M2 and the inside barrel dem is just rite not to small and not to big and the Forcing Cone looke good too.

Backbore was a way to repair a barrel that had pits or was too heaghy, Over Bore was thought of on new guns to help the patern and recoil.

its not too hard to find conflictin info on that, or someone that says one size is the rite size.

The key is ! IF Ist not broke don't fix it! :mellow:

Edited by AlamoShooter

Thanks for the great information... And I was inquiring about whichever term (backbore or overbore) that refers to tightening the pattern and lessen recoil. I was hoping to find a magic bean that would make the Benny recoil like an 1100 but be reliable and light like the M2 is :) hehe