Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People who bust on shooting sports

Ted Murphy

I am so tired of the "experts" panning action shooting sports for not being practical. They have a point, that they are games and not training. I certainly will not dispute that. But when they describe the sport in a manner that clearly dictates they never even tried the game, then they are just showing how they are trying to be the voice of experience, without actually having some.

I doubt any gun rag will ever do a concept on the "over trained but under practiced". Chances are you've met the type in various gun venues not involving actual shooting where score is kept. This sort has been to every brand name gun course and can cite the dogma of Ayoob, Front Sight, Gunsight, and Clint .... but rarely, if ever, set foot on the field of honor to test their skills against the "competitive folks with skills that will get them killed and stacked up like cordwood if they are ever in a real situation".

I'm looking forward to talking to one of our own who is due back from one of the sandboxes (the one with the caves) this summer. His email described a big firefight he was in a "easier than a lot of stages at the Harvard club". He's still alive, so it looks like he overcame the limitations of all those "skills that will get him killed" he learned in competition :).