Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M.O.R. Side Match

I've never shot or even seen a M.O.R. Side Match. Assuming one were to add such an event to a larger 3Gun match, what would a really good one consist of? Is it a single stage with a cash buy-in and prizes? I'd really like to hear some ideas.

Thanks

My experience with MOR has been shooting at Area 1 (Oregon) during an MG Nationals and an Area 1 MG Match.

For simplicity of set-up the stages for the MOR side match was based on stages that the main match used. They modified the main match's stages by:

- Taking away some paper targets.

- Of the paper targets that were left we were only required to shoot them once.

- They used smaller steel targets (or even the same steel targets) at basically the same general location as the main stage.

(For the steel they used R&R targets. The R&R targets have the option of using smaller steel targets. I don't know if they were using earlier versions of the target... but when we first shot a stage with the smaller targets they just didn't have enough mass or something. They got knocked off their hinges with the .308's/.260's/.243's that we used. They were fairly close at about 150-200 yards and we shot them at an angle that probably encouraged them getting knocked off.)

That was basically it. And it was pretty cool because we were using MOR's with only 5 or so rounds instead of hi-cap semi-autos. And in regular Sniper/PBR matches regular prone is a mainstay. The matches in Oregon really didn't have any classic prone positions. They were all "field" type positions.

You can also probably throw in a couple of "accuracy" stages. Just stick a bunch of the small mini-clays on a board at say 200 yards and have the shooters shoot five of them using Virginia or fixed time. Paintballs have also been used in the past.

This format requires an extra day. Usually before the main match. I think the Oregon matches was limited to four stages. Doing it this way potentially doesn't require as much set-up and tear down and doesn't require extra steel and other equipment.

The other format that you alluded too would require more steel and target holders and dedicated bays.