Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield ejector problem

kmca

I've got a Springfield 9mm single stack that's bending the ejector outward, so it binds the slide. When I first got the pistol, it bent the ejector so I sent it back to Springfield. Now, a few thousand rounds later, it's doing the same thing again. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

Keith

I've got a Springfield 9mm single stack that's bending the ejector outward, so it binds the slide. When I first got the pistol, it bent the ejector so I sent it back to Springfield. Now, a few thousand rounds later, it's doing the same thing again. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

Keith

Are the mags/rounds hitting the ejector when you insert them?

ON how to fix it... depends on how bad it's getting hit. I had the issue when I replaced an extractor and relieved the bottom of the extractor to cure it.

I guess I need to dryfire the keyboard more to beat Matt. :P

Edited by JThompson

You mags are probably hitting the ejector bending it. Check the clearance between the mags & ejector.

Checking now....I've got 10 mags that clear by about .025 and 2 at about .004. With the bullet in the mag, the cases all touch the ejector. So do you think that I should take about .005 off the bottom of the ejector?

Thanks again.

You mags are probably hitting the ejector bending it. Check the clearance between the mags & ejector.

Checking now....I've got 10 mags that clear by about .025 and 2 at about .004. With the bullet in the mag, the cases all touch the ejector. So do you think that I should take about .005 off the bottom of the ejector?

Thanks again.

I would take more than that if the ejector is sufficiently thick to hand it... How much do you have to work with?

EDIT: It's also possible that the mags are being over inserted when you are at slide lock. This is the reason a lot of guys choose to not lock the slide back with the last round. You can get a nasty jam if that happens.

Edited by JThompson

Thanks again.

I would take more than that if the ejector is sufficiently thick to hand it... How much do you have to work with?

EDIT: It's also possible that the mags are being over inserted when you are at slide lock. This is the reason a lot of guys choose to not lock the slide back with the last round. You can get a nasty jam if that happens.

The ejector is .125 tall and .067 thick. I guess I could be over inserting but other than LAMR, I can't really recall the last time I loaded from slide lock.

Thanks

p.s. JJThompson, I didn't wait for your answer and just took off .009 and I can see light between the casing and ejector. I figured, what the heck, it doesn't work now, so what do I have to lose. :rolleyes:

Edited by kmca

Just get another one on the way if you don't already have one... ;) Make sure to debur as well.

Thanks again.

The ejector is .125 tall and .067 thick. I guess I could be over inserting but other than LAMR, I can't really recall the last time I loaded from slide lock.

Thanks

p.s. JJThompson, I didn't wait for your answer and just took off .009 and I can see light between the casing and ejector. I figured, what the heck, it doesn't work now, so what do I have to lose. :rolleyes:

Edited by JThompson

JJThompson, it's deburred and actually I put a small chamber on the inside/bottom of it just in case. I'll order a spare soon.

I don't go to Chicago, but if you're ever out my way..I'd like to buy you a cold one.

Thanks again,

Keith

JJThompson, it's deburred and actually I put a small chamber on the inside/bottom of it just in case. I'll order a spare soon.

I don't go to Chicago, but if you're ever out my way..I'd like to buy you a cold one.

Thanks again,

Keith

Make sure you let us know if that fixed it...

I'll take you up on the beer if we are ever at the same match... Just make sure there are no Avocado's on whatever sandwich we get. Why is it everything in Cali has avocado on it? :P Save the squash for the court I say. :)

Best,

JT

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again,

Keith

I'll take you up on the beer if we are ever at the same match... Just make sure there are no Avocado's on whatever sandwich we get. Why is it everything in Cali has avocado on it? :P Save the squash for the court I say. :)

Best,

JT

Good news is it worked. Bad news is I just noticed the ejector is cracking. How do I get it out so I can put the new one in????????????

Thanks again,

Keith

Best,

JT

Good news is it worked. Bad news is I just noticed the ejector is cracking. How do I get it out so I can put the new one in????????????

Drive the roll pin out that holds it in place and pop the thing out.

EDIT: Hint, drive it out from left to right (looking from the rear, and don't drive it all the way out.... just go far enough so it clears the ejector.

Edited by JThompson

It looks like it has a relief cut in the bottom or the ejector but it's not very tall. I ground down an old screw driver to fit. I didn't get the ejector to budge, but I did manage to break the screwdriver. :angry:

Do they put those things in with locktite?

EDIT: Hint, drive it out from right to left (looking from the rear, and don't drive it all the way out.... just go far enough so it clears the ejector.

Sure about that?

Looking at the back of the gun, drift it from left to right. ;)

I corrected it as soon as I read it. :P

It looks like it has a relief cut in the bottom or the ejector but it's not very tall. I ground down an old screw driver to fit. I didn't get the ejector to budge, but I did manage to break the screwdriver. :angry:

Do they put those things in with locktite?

No usually... it's prob just gunked in there.... keep after it. What you don't want to do is pry side to side and break the leg off in there.... be careful.

Okay, I got it out, but I've never used that big a hammer while working on a gun.

I guess I'd better cut a stress relief radius on the bottom of the new ejector.

Thanks again,

Keith

p.s. By the way, from the looks of the pins, it does look like they "glued" it in.

Edited by kmca

Okay, I got it out, but I've never used that big a hammer while working on a gun.

I guess I'd better cut a stress relief radius on the bottom of the new ejector.

Thanks again,

Keith

p.s. By the way, from the looks of the pins, it does look like they "glued" it in.

Make sure the new one isn't rubbing on the slide anywhere too.

Got the new ejector in. It required removing about .005 from the inside to clear the slide. The new ejector "nose" is about 1/8" shorter than the factory one. It seems to eject okay but it's been raining and I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. Do you think the shorter ejector will be a problem?

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I haven't been shooting much in the last 2 months. Just a quick note to let you guys know my gun is now working.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by kmca