Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surrender draw to support hand only

G-ManBart

I like to draw the gun, either normally or by the magwell, then look the gun into the weak hand as the gun is level. Is that what others are describing by "looking at the gun"?

I think there are really at least three basic variations. 1. Look at the target the whole time. 2. Look at the gun only during the transfer. 3. Look at the gun at the beep, do the transfer and then look at the target.

In the past I've always looked at the target and saw the transfer in my peripheral vision, but didn't look at it like I'd look at the magwell during a reload. I'm going to experiment with the other two and see which is faster...or at least know how much time I'm losing if one method seems more consistent and less likely to cause a blowup due to a bad grip/transfer.

I like to draw the gun, either normally or by the magwell, then look the gun into the weak hand as the gun is level. Is that what others are describing by "looking at the gun"?

I think there are really at least three basic variations. 1. Look at the target the whole time. 2. Look at the gun only during the transfer. 3. Look at the gun at the beep, do the transfer and then look at the target.

In the past I've always looked at the target and saw the transfer in my peripheral vision, but didn't look at it like I'd look at the magwell during a reload. I'm going to experiment with the other two and see which is faster...or at least know how much time I'm losing if one method seems more consistent and less likely to cause a blowup due to a bad grip/transfer.

My technique is to always keep the eyes on the target. I grab the gun by the magwell. What helped me the most with the transfer was pulling the gun back into the weak hand to ensure a good grip. Don't wrap your weak hand fingers around the grip until the gun is firmly seated against the palm of your hand.

YMMV

Another variable in this type of draw: Disengaging the safety. I have found the safest and surest method is to disengage the safety with my weakhand. I dryfire practice weakhand draws virtually every day, and knocking the safety off with my weakhand is now just a part of the draw.