Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejecting Round Hiting Scope Mount

GRW

I just had a side mounted c-more installed on my .38 super open gun and noticed that rounds were bouncing off my hand during practice. After closer examination, the case mouth is hitting the beveled portion of the mount and being deflected down. I have not experienced any jams do to this, but I am sure there is a good chance for one in the future.

Doing a search I found the following possible causes and fixes:

-not enough extractor tension

-speed up the cycle rate (install lighter recoil spring)

Any other suggestions?

Extractor tension can have an affect. However, if the tension is good then the next thing you'll want to look into is changing the angle and/or length of your ejector. You can determine the direction both fore/aft and up/down of the ejected brass with this angle. The Front Sight USPSA magazine had a nice article this month that touched on that subject. In short, in the ejector world longer it is the sooner it starts it's spin off of the extractor. The higher the contact point of the ejector on the brass as it's being pulled out of the chamber. The lower it's trajectory will be. If your brass is hitting the bottom of the scope mount I'd bet that the ejector is cut with a contact point that is about halfway (or lower) down the front face.

Thanks Dan, I just finished reading the article in F.S. I am not sure if the shape is the problem. Mine is shaped like a 7. This would mean the contact area is at its highest point causing a lower ejection path (if I am interpreting this article correctly :wacko: ).

I will have to look at this again and make sure the case isn’t hitting another part of the ejection port then popping up and hitting the mount.

If the contact point on your ejector is at the highest but still having occasional ejected brass hitting the scope mount I might have the answer for you. The angle of trajectory of the ejected brass is too low and you're getting the occasional brass hitting the slide's ejection port and bouncing off the slide then ricochetting into the mount. Solution would be to lower the contact point of the ejector. I've had this problem before and almost drove me nuts trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I actually ground down an EGW extended ejector to where it wasn't extended anymore. I finally got the angle just right to where the brass clears the ejection port cleanly. Goodluck with your problem. josh