Pics of my homemade Vibra-Prime

Hack

Pics of my homemade Vibra-Prime

Here is the YouTube video that was my inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0zqX8DAXQ

and the improved version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joLPd2MQJME...feature=related

Here's my version

In the following pic you can see the hex wrench that I used to insure proper alignment between the black Lee flip tray and the Dillon primer pick up tube. The end I attached to the Lee flip tray was opposite the end that is used to pick up primers.

noglue.jpg

Pics of my homemade Vibra-prime - Part One

The next pic shows where I applied hot glue to secure the Dillon tube to the "trough" of the Lee flip tray.

glue.jpg

The last pic on this thread shows how I wrapped red vinyl tape around to the make it look better and increase its structural strength..

redtape.jpg

Go to next thread,

Hack

The following pics show where I filled in the space between the Lee flip tray and Dillon tube with hot glue to increase its structural support.

cavityempty.jpg

cavityfilled.jpg

The following pic shows a view from the top. I'll remove the hex wrench tomorrow. Everything should be set by then

topview.jpg

The following pic shows my Large and Small Vibra-Primes. I’m still waiting on the vibrator to arrive. It will be touched to the side of the flip tray and stimulate the primers to travel through the channel and fall into the Dillon tube.

bothofthem.jpg

I see no reason why it shouldn't work as planned.

Hack

Edited by Hack

This looks very cool, but what keeps the primers from flipping as they feed into the tube?

Good luck

George

George, I'm hoping that the primers will just slide over and fall in the Dillon tube. The ones pushing the previous one may help prevent it from flipping over. They'll be going in anvil-side-up, I'm hoping it will work. But we'll see.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Hack

Edited by Hack

Sorry Hack,

They will flip. I assume you are going to use the clear plastic lid that comes with the Lee flip tray. I had to fashion an small cover that bridges from the lid to over the hole where the primers drop. If there is not a lid, the primers easily flip and spin as the go down the chute. At first, I used a piece of clear plastic from the packaging of one of my kids toys. It was easy to shape with a pair of scissors. However, it wasn't stiff enough, and some of the primers still flipped. I bought a small piece of clear plastic (thicker than the toy packaging) from the hobby store. It was a little harder to cut, but holds it shape well.

Great work with the hot glue. Good idea to use the allen wrench.

I'll bet yours will work better than mine. I didn't want to permanently attach the tube, so I built up some material inside the trough, hoping I could hold the tube in place. However, my primers get stuck between the flip tray and the tube. I have to fiddle with the angle and fit of the tube. I did find that a small gap between the plastic and the tube allows the primers room to make the transition more easily. I'll probably use your more permanent method if I make another.

Oh, replacement trays and lids are available on Lee's webpage for $3.00 and $2.50, respectively.

Good luck!

Edited by Jeff686

Sorry Hack,

They will flip. I assume you are going to use the clear plastic lid that comes with the Lee flip tray. I had to fashion an small cover that bridges from the lid to over the hole where the primers drop. If there is not a lid, the primers easily flip and spin as the go down the chute. At first, I used a piece of clear plastic from the packaging of one of my kids toys. It was easy to shape with a pair of scissors. However, it wasn't stiff enough, and some of the primers still flipped. I bought a small piece of clear plastic (thicker than the toy packaging) from the hobby store. It was a little harder to cut, but holds it shape well.

Great work with the hot glue. Good idea to use the allen wrench.

I'll bet yours will work better than mine. I didn't want to permanently attach the tube, so I built up some material inside the trough, hoping I could hold the tube in place. However, my primers get stuck between the flip tray and the tube. I have to fiddle with the angle and fit of the tube. I did find that a small gap between the plastic and the tube allows the primers room to make the transition more easily. I'll probably use your more permanent method if I make another.

Oh, replacement trays and lids are available on Lee's webpage for $3.00 and $2.50, respectively.

Good luck!

Yep, I'll be using the Lee clear cover and I saw in your second video that you made a small cover for the channel out to the primer tube. If need be, I'll do the same. I probably have some heavy-weight clear plastic laying around the reloading bench somewhere.

I pulled the wrenches out and was glad that I could not see a seam were the flip tray and the primer tube meet - that's what I was trying to avoid and looks like I did.

Thanks for letting me know about the replacement trays and lids. It would have been cheaper of just get those, instead of the actual Lee Auto-Prime (I currently use the RCBS hand primer, so I didn't need hte Lee one.)

Hack

Both worked fine and I didn't even need the vibrator, just tapped it with my finger. Primers slid over and fell right into the primer tube.

I did make one major mod. If you look at the pic, you'll see a raised area surrounding the hex wrench where it enters the primer tube. I used my Dremel to sand it off flat, on the same plane as the rest of the flip tray. I did it because primers were flipping sideways and clogging up the works. With a flat piece of clear plastic covering the area, primers did not have room the flip. Now this thing works just like I planned.

topview.jpg

Hack

Edited by Hack

I made mine so the tube was removable, that way I could load a bunch of tubes in advance, or have a buddy doing it whiile I loaded. I use one of my Midway tumblers to provide the needed vibration. works faster than the RF100 but you do have to sit there holding it.

I made mine so the tube was removable, that way I could load a bunch of tubes in advance, or have a buddy doing it whiile I loaded. I use one of my Midway tumblers to provide the needed vibration. works faster than the RF100 but you do have to sit there holding it.

By what method did you align the tube so the primers would flow and not back-up. Your idea may beat mine. It would be nice to slip in a tube, load it, remove it and do anther.

Got any pics?

Hack

from this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=64594&hl=

first off the Custom piece of plastic cut to preven the primers from flipping sideways when they leave the main tray area. It's important to use a piece of clear plastic so that you can see what's going on. the odd primer still does try to go sideways (they are crafty little buggers)

customprimertubefiller002.jpg

Next are three shots of the custom cut pieces of carboard. You'll notice I inserted 4 pieces into the back of the support area of the tray, folded another one around the front, and then folded another one to go down the front and around the other piece I folded. I then taped it all down with hockey tape.

customprimertubefiller003.jpg

customprimertubefiller004.jpg

customprimertubefiller006.jpg

Finally the tube is inserted with the yellow pick up end removed. I prefill about 10 tubes, putting the yellow end back on after they are full.

customprimertubefiller007.jpg

only change I've done is to glue the plastic part that covers the primers final path onto the Lee tray. I also trimmed that piece of plastic to look more "factory" hahaha.

never did get around to stealing a vibe from the gf. I got a rather nasty look at the idea. apparently we don't have any that are "broken". the tumbler works great anyhow.

Edited by slavex

from this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=64594&hl=

first off the Custom piece of plastic cut to preven the primers from flipping sideways when they leave the main tray area. It's important to use a piece of clear plastic so that you can see what's going on. the odd primer still does try to go sideways (they are crafty little buggers)

customprimertubefiller002.jpg

Next are three shots of the custom cut pieces of carboard. You'll notice I inserted 4 pieces into the back of the support area of the tray, folded another one around the front, and then folded another one to go down the front and around the other piece I folded. I then taped it all down with hockey tape.

customprimertubefiller003.jpg

customprimertubefiller004.jpg

customprimertubefiller006.jpg

Finally the tube is inserted with the yellow pick up end removed. I prefill about 10 tubes, putting the yellow end back on after they are full.

customprimertubefiller007.jpg

only change I've done is to glue the plastic part that covers the primers final path onto the Lee tray. I also trimmed that piece of plastic to look more "factory" hahaha.

never did get around to stealing a vibe from the gf. I got a rather nasty look at the idea. apparently we don't have any that are "broken". the tumbler works great anyhow.

I definitely like the idea of inserting tube after tube and filling up several. I may have to take mine apart, maybe I can remove the pickup tube w/o disturbing the hot glue - then re-insert it. If it works I can do like you and fill several tubes in a row.

But do you agree that our "devices" beat the heck out of the old fashioned pick-up tube?

I'll try it this weekend.

Thanks for the pics

Hack

Edited by Hack

dude I couldn't go back to loading tubes the old way again. I'd shoot myself. it's the one job I truly hate in reloading. I much preferred the way RCBS's strip loader works, and in fact wish there was a way to put the strip feeder on the 1050. it's a much better system for feeding primers. But it would be a huge mechanical undertaking with lots of machining to do that.

Hack,

If you make another with a removable tube, try coating the tube with wax, shoe polish, chap stick, or other release agent. Then use epoxy or rifle bedding rosyn or something that doesn't get hot. The release agent will let you get the tube out after the glue gets hard.

I used shoe polish and epoxy putty to bed my 10/22 stock. Worked great.

Hack,

If you make another with a removable tube, try coating the tube with wax, shoe polish, chap stick, or other release agent. Then use epoxy or rifle bedding rosyn or something that doesn't get hot. The release agent will let you get the tube out after the glue gets hard.

I used shoe polish and epoxy putty to bed my 10/22 stock. Worked great.

Now that makes sense. I think I'll try shoe polish, or maybe even chapstick.

The epoxy you used - was it the kind that came in two tubes and then you had to mix the pastes together? Come to think of it, JB Weld might make a good solid base to slide the primer tubes into.

Hack

Edited by Hack

Yup, 2-part epoxy. JB Weld is essentially 2-part epoxy.

I love epoxy. Maybe because I get all the fun flavors from my office.

For the liquid runny kind, I like the 20-minute version. It gives me time to work with the glue, but begins to get thick after about 5-10 minutes, and stays in place a litte better. If I use the liquid/runny kind, I ususally build little walls and dams to keep it in place. JB Weld is a little thicker, but not much. Wax paper (alone or with cardboard backing) is great for shaping epoxy until it cures.

However, I'm in love with the epoxy putty. They make all sorts of flavors and colors, (examples: PIG putty). Once you mix the two halves, you can make all sorts of fun shapes and designs. It cuts with a knife, rolls like clay, and squishes to take the shape of anything. One nice thing about the putty is it holds parts in place while it cures. You can connect and attach parts, and they stay put until it hardens.

Edited by Jeff686