Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choke Tubes

outerlimits

Grease, heavy choke tube grease or Rig +P stainless grease, that and get in the habit of reaching out and giving it a twist every box or so of shells. The heavier the grease the less it moves on each shot. If you ever get one where it will NOT loosen under shooting odds are pretty good you are going to mangle something getting it out if you can get it out.

When I used to shoot a lot of trap, skeet and clays I just got in the habit of giving the chokes a twist before and after shooting a round. I now do it when I get the "make ready" command and after "range is clear". I won't put anything other than gun oil on the choke threads of my shotguns. It isn't worth boogering the threads.

Have you had a bad experience using any of the dedicated choke-tube lubes? Gun oil is good for anti-corrosion properties, but oil typically does not perform as well as a grease, especially a metallic-base grease, in situations where pressure is involved. This is the reason for the zinc/phosphorous addatives in motor-oil that are required when running flat tappets, high-tension valve-springs, etc.

Edited by WS6