Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening Ar Buffer?

Zak Smith

I am under the impression that reducing the reciprocating mass in the AR-15 will reduce the rifle's movement during recoil. I also notice that the AR buffer (the thing between the bolt carrier and the recoil spring) has a weight inside it. When I take it out and shake it, I hear this "clunk."

First, what is the purpose of the loose weight in the buffer?

Second, can I remove the loose weight in the buffer to reduce recoil jolting without adverse operational effects?

-z

The clunking sound is the weights inside the buffer itself. DO NOT REOMOVE THEM. The act much like a dead-blow hammer; they eliminate bounce. That keeps the bolt closed after it strips a round and feeds it into the chamber. Without a dead-blow buffer the bolt will bounce just out of battery fairly regularly.

Far better is the low mass bolt carrier, if that is your goal.

Tom

Hi Zak,

You will definetly want the adj. gas system along with the LMOS to enable you tune the amount of gas down for the smoothest cycling. Set it so that it just locks open, then open up another 1/4-1/2 turn for reliability. The full on setting will cycle the low mass carrier a lot harder than it needs to.

This system rocks when properly adjusted for the load you using.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my upper back from JP. It's a 16" rock-river.

Had them install the BC comp and the stainless adjustable gas block. To get it to lock the bolt back using BH 68gr, I unscrewed it only about 1 turn from totally closed.

I am very pleased with the rifle now. It does not move very much. I may still try out the Low Mass bolt, though.

-z