Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Impenetrable No Shoots

Steve Anderson

9.7.6.4 Is only applicable in case of a "not possible" reshoot, where excessive hits are written on the scoresheet. This will be noticed in the stats-office (incorrect scoresheet) and presented to de RM. In case the competitor is unable to re-shoot this rule is applied. If in a case the time would be missing, this would result in 0 points! (You better be able to re-shoot! Or better be sure of what YOU sign for.)

The us9.1.4.2 rule deviates from IPSC-rules, but still refers to "un-restored" targets only (not patched in this particular case).

John

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SRT,

You're right ---- benefit of doubt is specifically stated in U.S. 9.1.4.2. However in the case of the shooter shooting a nine and there being one nine hole and two unpatched .45 holes in the target the rule REQUIRES a re-shoot. You may not score him a hit for one of the .45 holes. Why not? Possibly because if the holes are an A-D split, it will be impossible for the R.O. to tell which hole the shooter snaked his 9 bullet through. I haven't seen many situations, where a conclusive determination could not be made ---- but I think we have to know what the shooter shot. I don't think we can just invoke benefit of the doubt and award the higher hit.....

(Drifting a bit.)

- (FWIW) When you look at "benefit of doubt" in US 9.1.4.2, note that it is followed by..."and a reshoot issued."

- If I can't determine the shooter's score on a target, then I can't be assigning hits where I think they ought to go. I either know, or I don't.

- Reshoots are part of the game. They happen. No big deal. Plan on them.

The idea is to prevent re-shoots (and have a good match) by:

- proper stage-design and -construction

- sanctioning procedures

- check by range master

- check by RO (consult RM for perceived problems)

- Guiding the shooter through the stage (with the proper attention).

- Follow the rules with scoring using sound & proper thinking to arrive at logical conclusions in the difficult problems.

- Allow the competitor to have a different opinion in that matter, take a second and even third look. But the RO & CRO have to arrive at a conclusion quite fast, because there is a time-table to keep. This will serve towards acceptance of the RO-decision, bcause attention was given to HIS/HER problem.

- If the ©RO-decision is not acceptable, the situation can be written down, targets removed, new targets placed. Then it becomes a CRO or RM decision.

I expect this kind of attention to problems, usually as a competitor, but also as RM or MD.

At the same time I expect the competitor handling the problem as an adult.

(Please note that I didn't stricktly follow the rules RO to CRO to RM, because RO and CRO are sometimes mixed, the idea remains the same, it just depends on the organisation of the particular match.)

John