Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing enough

kevin c

Did something at this weekend's club match I hadn't thought I could do before I just went ahead and did it.

Full metric target 4 to 5 yards down range of a tight weak side shooting position made up of two large barricade walls at right angles, so that you couldn't even see the target with both eyes, nor get your body into any sort of comfortable position squared up to the target.

Some folks pretzeled up and jammed themselves into the space available. Some shot weak or strong hand and some with the nondominant eye. A couple tried (with partial success) to shove the side barricade away to get room.

I didn't really have a plan (I shot on short notice after RO'ing and subbing in for the shooter who wasn't ready). I got there, got a glimpse of the target, then pulled my head and body back. I put the gun up, seeing only the side profile view of the gun, sort of sensed that I was on target, and fired. Two centered A's.

I'm going to see if I can do that again in practice. I'm still not sure what made the shot. Was it a kinesthetic sense that the gun was on (a kind of point shooting, but without seeing what I was pointing at when I broke the shots)? Was it an extreme case of knowing where your shots will go even with an imperfect (in this case, a missing) sight picture?

Lest anybody think I should be on Heroes, I also managed to plug a point blank NS on another array in the stage. That preoccupied me so that I didn't even think about how I got the hits until well after the stage. Kinda freaky thinking about it now.

I will report on whether this is something that can be turned into an acquirable skill as opposed to a fluke...

Did something at this weekend's club match I hadn't thought I could do before I just went ahead and did it.

I got there, got a glimpse of the target, then pulled my head and body back. I put the gun up, seeing only the side profile view of the gun, sort of sensed that I was on target, and fired. Two centered A's.

I'm still not sure what made the shot. Was it a kinesthetic sense that the gun was on (a kind of point shooting, but without seeing what I was pointing at when I broke the shots)? Was it an extreme case of knowing where your shots will go even with an imperfect (in this case, a missing) sight picture?

That is probably something you (we) do every day in other activities. I'd bet there is some info out there on it under hand-eye coordination.

Once we visually locate something (and/or visualize it properly), then we don't likely need to be looking right at it.

An example I noticed is grabbing bullets out of the akro-bin when reloading. I look right at the exact bullet that I am going to pick out of the bin, then I can look away and still make a good grab on that particular bullet.