Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major 7.62x39 Redux

Mickster

While at the range this past saturday, a fellow brings out his high-end AK shooting 154 grain Wolf 7.62x39. He told me the velocity was at 2100 fps. I whippped out my calculator and saw that it only needed another 115fps to make USPSA major!

What do you think? With all the new powders coming on the the market, can it be safely done in a standard rifle?

Hmm - had not heard of 154 grn Wolf -  I have only heard of the near-universal bullet weight of 124 grn for factory loading, though I suppose it is possible since Wolf makes some unusual loads  - like the 9x19 mm  145 Grain Hollowpoint Silver Bear - a load they claim will achieve 1200 FPS.

Well even out of a 16 in Colt rifle barrel, Wolf's claim for their hot 145 grn 9mm is exagerated -  and yes we did test this out of a calibrated chronograph. If Wolf does indeed produce 154 grn loads for the 39mm length round, I would want to verify their velocity claims - rifle major may be a lot further away than it would first seem.

Looking on the bright side, as to the potential of 7.62x39mm to make current rifle major, it may well be possible with modern powders like VihtaVouri and strong, reliable actions found on guns like the AR-15.   The AR is a far cry from a loose and reliable AK action. I am a fan of both actions, thought I feel the AR has the edge over most AKs (the Galils and Valmets being a possible exceptions).  The real drawback with ARs in that cal would be finding reliable highcap mags.  Maybe an AR-10 in .243 or .260 would be a more worthwhile project?

I might be full of hot-air but here's what I was thinking.

Even though I don't own an AK I would think after so many decades of rugged use in the field the action would be strong enough. By using a rifle with the longer barrel to get some extra velocity, and if it could be loaded to make major, that would make a nice rifle for 3-gun competition. Most stages are less than 200 yards, many at pistol ranges, 30 and 40 round mags are plentyful and the entry cost to get started isn't as high as a DSA FAL or M1A.

If I had an AK, access to a private range and a chrono, I would take my reloading press to the range and give it a try. I wonder if it could be done.