Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Receiver finish

fastshooter03

I'm gettin sick of my Tikka MSs rusting all the time so I took em apart and I'm gonna do something other than the crappy bluing or whatever they tried to use. Even though I dip these things in protectant and keep em in a safe with moisture absorb they seem to get rusty quick.

I was thinking of hardchroming or nitriding. Ionbonding might be a little too expensive. I can get duracoating done but I wouldn't mind having the camming surfaces enhanced and all the little nooks and crannies protected better.

Any suggestions?

Nick

It's $275 to do a STI in black and it looks really good. The only thing now is that you need a dealer/gunsmith to send the gun in for a faster turnaround time and you're still looking at about a month.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best (and cheapest) finishes I have ever applied is Parkerizing. You can do it in your backyard with a hotplate and a stainless tub.

For extra protection, buy a small airbrush kit and paint the KG Gun Kote on yourself. You will have to bake it but you will save yourself a buttload of money. KG goes on way thinner than Duracoat. It will have to be baked though so I would not use it on plastic parts.

Gun Kote on Park is bar none the best.