Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell Carry

rrflyer

I love mine. Clean and classy, slightly bigger than a S&A, love how the gun balances without all the weight of a SS magwell/MSH back there (I'm running a polymer MSH), but you will probably want to run extended basepads, as 47D pads sit pretty close to flush with it. Don't think I've read about many other people using one on here - the two camps seem to run either S&A or the big giant Techwell's/SV's.

Edited to add - I like fairly aggressive grips - usually a skatetape/TruGrip type of person, but the Techwell Alumagrips feel great to me. Just enough bite, but easy to reposition your grip if needed.

Edited by Krautwagen

Recently handled a Gold Cup with a pair of Alumagrips and the carry magwell. The gun is owned by a member here (Redmanfixit). I shoot a SS with a Wilson Speed Chute so that is what I was comparing it with. I did not actually seat a mag, so perhaps my experience isnt really helpful, but from what I saw I would expect the Carry magwell to accomodate magazine bumpers much the way my Speed Chute does. I can attest to the elegance of the Alumagrip solution and I really liked the texture of the alumagrips. I am seriously considering getting a pair of grips and both a carry magwell and one of the big wells.

OTH, I may just practice my reloads more with my current gear...

I recently had a critical change of posture in the case of "having a REALLY nice 1911 to shoot". I was experiencing a bit of jealousy, as two of my pals have Wilson CQB's they run in SS. So Nice! Guess I was sort of looking out of my naval....so to speak. I'm setting up a Colt Gold Cup I got a VERY long time ago, for SS USPSA. I first began this sport in the late 70's and had this gun because I always wanted a really nice 1911 A1. It's just not set up for modern shooting sports so I'm refitting it with modern bits and pieces more suitable for the games we play here in the future. The Techwell is very nice! Extremely clean and fits beautifully. I bought the carry size magwell and to me it looks huge. I'm kind of a "mud in the stick" and tend to stay with pretty much plain 1911's for competition but I'm really liking the way this project is going. Once it's finished I will post photo's of it. I first saw this type of grip/magwell combo in a post on the Sig forum that my pal Hanexp pointed me to. The particular thread was on a Hogue version but you have to go to Hogue directly for them, I think. My Techwell set came from Brownell's. Hope this is of help!