Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm Hooked!

dbagwell

I'm still a noob, but this story may be inspirational for some...

Back in '06, some friends of mine loaned some gun safety videos to my wife. I was bored one night and decided to watch them although I had been through hunter's safety courses and numerous CCW/renewal courses to date and figured they'd be "old hat." Included in those videos was Rob Leatham's "Shooter Ready" video. At the time, it was an out-of-date video, but the fundamentals of IPSC shooting quickly grabbed my attention. Furthermore, when I seen a younger Rob shoot an "El Presidente" in less than five seconds I was instantely hooked! If not for that video, I would not even have known that type of competition shooting existed. I immediately joined the USPSA and started shooting Tuesday Night Steel at my local range (Rio Salado Sportsman's Club). At the time, I had no idea that RSSC was the home range to many of USPSA's top shooters. Watching these guys shoot was like having a front row seat at your favorite sporting event...these guys were awesome! I found that these guys were not only approachable, but very down to earth and extremely helpful too. Everyone at the range was very helpful and I learned a ton. I encourage others to get out there and give it a try...and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

The Shooter Ready? video is indeed awesome. Yes, it's dated (being made in 1985, there's no way it couldn't be - Robbie is much better today) but if I wanted a basic, enjoyable video to pop into the player to show someone who didn't really know that much about "combat" pistol shooting just why we find it so enjoyable, I can't think of a better choice than this one.