Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA shooting 2 Classes the same day

will227457

Welcome to your new addiction :)

A lot will depend on the club you are shooting at.

Locally here, there's one club that squads up, so shooting a second gun becomes a logistical nightmare. You'd likely need to have an SO agree to run you through the stages by yourself at the end.

Other clubs work shooters individually, and it's a little less as an imposition, and might well be encouraged.

I never see it done at sanctioned matches.

One way to see how much of an imposition it would be is to check past match results. A second gun/run is usually designated as such, and you can see if folks are already doing it.

Two divisions. You're asking about shooting in two divisions, not two classes, although you very well may be classified differently in each division. ;) More commonly, we just ask if we can shoot a second gun. Usually, the second gun is not for score. I've shot the same gun in the same division twice. The second run being just for practice to see if I can beat the first.

Shooting in two distinct divisions like SSP and SSR means you will have to disappear to change out equipment, which means you won't be available to help tape and reset. That's bad form if the squads are small. Your help will be missed.

Our club allows a 2nd gun. Several people do it every match. We request at sign up and are notified if a slot is available. However it's another thing at big matches. Shooting again gives the competitor an advantage over people who have not gone through the stages. Other shooting sports it's specifically allowed. Rifle silhouette you can shoot silhouette class which is basically unlimited equipment and re enter the same match with a production hunter rifle. I can tell you it's a big advantage.

Boats

I've shot a 2nd gun a few times in local IDPA matches. It keeps you busy, policing brass, reloading mags, switching holster, etc. I stopped doing it as it was too much hassle. But I usually do it in steel matches, with a .22 and a regular gun, much easier to manage.